Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. 700 XCR and Leupold scope base problem >

Rem. 700 XCR and Leupold scope base problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. 700 XCR and Leupold scope base problem

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Rem. 700 XCR and Leupold scope base problem

I picked up an XCR in 300 WSM. I wanted to install a one piece SA Leupold mount base and could not start the screw in the third hole. I measured the distance in the center holes of the screws and came up with 3.646" on the scope mount base and 3.628" on the XCR. Does not seem like much but that is enough to give me headaches. So I returned the one piece for a two piece mount and installed my VXII on it.The front piece holes were fine but the rear screws had a little drag on as i was screwing them in. Not to much, just felt like a they tapped the holes witha worn tap.At the range I was very disappointed with the performance of this rife.I cleaned the barrel after the first round and second round and went to shoot the 20 rounds that i had with me. The 3.5" was thebest group i got. The carbon build up is only on one side of the casing neck. So I called Remington and told them about the scope mount holes. I told him that i measured a few more mounts in the store and they were the same. So he told me that probably the rifle is drilled wrong and he will send me a shipping label. I was going to shoot a few more brands and weight ammo before i will send it back but the ammo is not readily available and it is not cheap. So i stopped by Ammo Bro's in Cerritos to pick up the only box of 300 WSM they had in stock. The gunsmith that works there was helping me so I asked him about the accuracy of this rifle. He told me at will take at least 200 round to break this barrel in but it should have had a better accuracy then that. So i go on telling him about the holes and his answer was " OH you got one of those? Send it Back". He told me that he had Remingtons come in with the miss-drilled holes. Sometimes asmuch as .020".He had a point when he asked that if they are so sloppy on these holes what other holes are drilled wrong on this rifle. This is $900 rifle,I expectedbetter quality from Remington.I have some pictures on mywith the case necks, www.gottrikes.com/xcr300wsm.htm [/align][/align]If Remington will do me wright, I will come back andpost it.[/align]
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rem. 700 XCR and Leupold scope base problem

ORIGINAL: trikepedaler

I picked up an XCR in 300 WSM. I wanted to install a one piece SA Leupold mount base and could not start the screw in the third hole. I measured the distance in the center holes of the screws and came up with 3.646" on the scope mount base and 3.628" on the XCR. Does not seem like much but that is enough to give me headaches. So I returned the one piece for a two piece mount and installed my VXII on it.The front piece holes were fine but the rear screws had a little drag on as i was screwing them in. Not to much, just felt like a they tapped the holes witha worn tap.At the range I was very disappointed with the performance of this rife.I cleaned the barrel after the first round and second round and went to shoot the 20 rounds that i had with me. The 3.5" was thebest group i got. The carbon build up is only on one side of the casing neck. So I called Remington and told them about the scope mount holes. I told him that i measured a few more mounts in the store and they were the same. So he told me that probably the rifle is drilled wrong and he will send me a shipping label. I was going to shoot a few more brands and weight ammo before i will send it back but the ammo is not readily available and it is not cheap. So i stopped by Ammo Bro's in Cerritos to pick up the only box of 300 WSM they had in stock. The gunsmith that works there was helping me so I asked him about the accuracy of this rifle. He told me at will take at least 200 round to break this barrel in but it should have had a better accuracy then that. So i go on telling him about the holes and his answer was " OH you got one of those? Send it Back". He told me that he had Remingtons come in with the miss-drilled holes. Sometimes asmuch as .020".He had a point when he asked that if they are so sloppy on these holes what other holes are drilled wrong on this rifle. This is $900 rifle,I expectedbetter quality from Remington.I have some pictures on mywith the case necks, www.gottrikes.com/xcr300wsm.htm
[/align]
[/align]If Remington will do me wright, I will come back andpost it.
[/align]
Remington will make it right. I have the Remington 700xcr in 270wsm and I did a barrel break-in on it. My proceedure was clean the bore with JB Bore paste and Butches Bore shine. Then ran some barrel break-in lube and shot one shot then a patch of break-in lube. Did this aftereach shot for 10 shots and cleaned the barrel. Then did 5 shot strings with barrel break-in lube for 10 times. Then 10 shot strings at 10 times. Did this with factory Winchester Power Points over a chronograph and by velosity was increasing as I was doing the proceeure along with my shot groups decreasing (smaller). After this proceedure I do not have as much copper fouling in the bore and accuracy has been outstandingin my rifle. As for as bases and rings I am using Warne bases and rings.