Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need some help here.... >

I need some help here....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need some help here....

Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Default I need some help here....

Hello everyone,
I am just getting into shooting and I was wondering if i can have some help picking out my first shotgun.
I have been thinking about getting into trap shootings and maybe just going to the range and firing off a few. Nothing to crazy, but i do wanna get into trap a little bit. I was just wondering what a good all aroun gun would be. Do i need a semi or is pump ok? I was looking at either the 11-87 super mag synthetic or the 870 shurshot turkey gun i dont kno to much about them. Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some help here....

Whatever form of shotgun you ultimately pick, the most important factor is that it fits you. When you bring it up to your face, the bead should be lined up and you are looking where the gun shoots. If you have to shift your head position to line up the bead at all, you'll struggle to shoot it well.
That being said, I'd recommend a 26" barrel as a good all around barrel length.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Stay away from the 11-87 supermag!!!! The 3" 11-87's are still decent guns but the supermag is garbage!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

If your going to shoot trap the 870 works out nice. Most serious trap shooters use a 30" barrel. If your going to use it for hunting and trap, I would go with the 28" barrel. If your going to someday get into Sporting Clays, I would look into a semi-auto, like the 11-87, Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, all depends on your personal budget. As listed above, a good fit is important along with a good recoil pad.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Serious trap shooting is most often done with a gun with a stock with a higher comb than a field gun. The reason for this is to be able to "float" the bird a little bit above the muzzle on straight-aways, and to always be able to see the bird. With a field gun, you generally have to blot the bird out to smoke it.
Shooting trap with a field gun certainly can be done, but just like most other specialized sports, to be serious at it almost always requires specialized equipment. The 870 would be my choice if you wish to go the way you have planned. At any rate, go at it, and have fun!!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM

If you plan on shooting clay target I would recommend against the Sure Shot Turkey. The pistol grip may be great for a stationary target but does not work well on moving targets. I started out with a Remington 870 for hunting and clay targets. 28" barrel will be a good starting point for a hunting / target gun.

The most important thing to focus on is the fit of the gun. Go to range with some friends and try different guns before you buy. Figure out which ones fit. When a gun fits properly, it is like it is not even there. You will feel as if you are on every target and you are forcing nothing. Once you found a gun that fits, now is the time to buy. Do not worry about brand when you are trying guns because you may find that a Browning fits better than the Remington you wanted.