Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What is a good youth model .270 >

What is a good youth model .270

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is a good youth model .270

Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Default RE: What is a good youth model .270

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

To my knowledge no one makes a youth rifle chambered for the.270.

Most youth rifles are chambered in .223, .243, and 7mm-08.

Remington model seven would be at the top of my list.
Hey, bigbulls......

I believe you missed one , brother,......it was linked in a reply up the page,,,,, see the last of this posting ...... I have copied one for ya.

Savage 111FYCAK 270WIN DBM YOUTH[/align]

Model: 17921 [/align][/align]Item Condition: Factory New [/align][/align]Bud's Item Number: 26405 [/align][/align][/align] [/align]

[/align]Price: $534.00 [/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]Email a friend...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM

My last post was a bit harsh and I apologize for that, I shouldn't post after coming home from a bad day at work I was a bit grumpy.

That being said, like I have said before I don't always post things for the person that asked the question per say, but sometimes just throw out stuff for the couple hundred others that might be reading the thread.

I know he said he didn't want a single shot, but he never said why. Maybe you are just assuming he has a good reason or that his son is a crack shot. I don't assume that. Maybe like most of the other people I know he doesn't want a single shot because his miss informed buddy at work told him they are no good. I don't know that one way or another and neither do you and I would hate for him or anyone else to keep believing that.

If I were at a gun store and asked that question and someone gave me that answer I would say "Hey thanks for the info but I really don't want a single shot because..........". I wouldn't expect some guy standing next to me to say to the guy behind the counter "Look dude, that's not what he asked you, he said he didn't want a single shot were you not listening?".

Lots of people come on here looking for things and we suggest something different, it happens. Look at most of the "what scope should I get" threads. When someone asks about a cheap simmons or tasco we don't have any trouble telling them to get something else even though they clearly state they want a cheap scope. Or if they say they are looking at a 6-20x50 AO scope for deer hunting, we don't have any trouble suggesting something more suitable like a 2-7 power instead. At least I don't. If they want to ignore my opinion it's no big deal though. I'm not telling them what they have to buy, just suggesting they consider something.

I didn't feel I was really harming anyone by offering extra information or my opinion. Sorry if you took offense to it, but you were not the one looking for advice either.

Paul
Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Sounds like you are still grumpy...

I pretty much take things at face value, address the specific query,and try to keep assumption out of the equation....per the singleshot thing, and what he posted.

He admitted his kid was small and thus my suggestion of a short action chambering instead of the .270, so I'm partially guilty of the same thing as you, though I can't imagine anyone wanting to make their littlekid start out with an '06 based long action, on purpose,and I had that in mind.

By the same token I couldn't cheat a kid out of the opportunity to enjoya follow up shot should it be needed. There would be much less confusion and a lot less movement, and that would be known with the distinct differences between a bolt and a break open.

It's alright teaching a kid to aim small misssmall with the first shot, and everyone should be taught that from the git go. But, the idea of starting out with a single shot for the sake of the limitation is outdated at best....since all that's needed is the child to only have one shell in the rifle to make it a single shot.

All it takes to justify a youth sizedbolt repeater is that it will be more useful in the future with only a mere stock swap, as it doesn't take long for a kid to grow out of a kid's gun, mentally as well as physically.

With my sons I consider it just as valuable to chamber a second round "just in case" and hold crosshairs until the last quiver quits....as it is to hit well with the first one.

Being prepared is never not a good idea.........
Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM

And I pretty much agree with you on every point. I was suggesting not to rule them out is all, not saying he shouldn't look at any other options. I hunt quite a bit with single shots be it a muzzle loader or break open slug gun and it has never hindered me in shooting deer.

Paul
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Howa makes a youth model that comes with an extra full sized stock for you change when the kid gets big enough. The only problem is that it doesnt come in 270, it does come 7mm-08!

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/specs/specs_youth2n1.html
Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Savage makes a nice youth model in their model 11. I picked up a 7mm-08 for my grandson. I believe the model is 11FYCAK. It has the shortened synthetic stock, muzzlebrake and detatchable box mag. And man can that little rifle shoot. I am pretty sure they make it in .270 and 30-06 in the longer action (model 111).
Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably already mentioned, I did not read every word of every reply.

In a "youth" rifle, two things that are often over looked are "length of pull" (LOP) and balance. The LOP of "standard" mass produced rifles are cut to fit "Mr. Average", who ever that guy is. For sure he is not a 12 year old kid! Even so called "youth" models are likewise "averaged" when it comes to LOP. This may sound crazy, but it'll work and your kid will thank you for it. First try a "youth" rifle. If the shoe fits, wear it. If not,
buy a short barrel (20"-22") standard, common brand name, hunting rifle in something that is reasonable in recoil. Do not pay "extra" for a fancy stock.

I'd stay under a 308 Win. Something like a 243 Win., 257 Roberts, 260 rem. (which is a 6.5mm/08), 7mm/08 Rem., 6.5x55SE (excellent and much over looked round), or 308 Win.

Take the rifle to a good gunsmith and have your kid's LOP measured. Cut the stock (!!!), taking into account the length of a quality recoil pad. As you child grows, you can have "spacers" added. Once he/she is pretty much "average" , buy a replacement "standard LOP" stock. Unless you are going for "fancy" wood, you can get a very good polymer stock for most rifles for around $100 - $125.