Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Model 94 Question >

Model 94 Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 94 Question

Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Model 94 Question

My buddy is thinking about trying to put a scope on a Winchester Model 94 lever gun that was given to him by his uncle. The gun is in very good shape and looks hardly used. He's thinking about putting a scope on the gun. Oh yeah, it's a 30-30. I've seen quite a few 30-30's with scopes on them, but I'm wondering if putting a scope on his 94 will decrease the value of the gun or if it make sense to put a scope on it. My feeling is that he shouldn't put a scope on it b/c it will stay "traditional" if he didn't put the scope on and it would possibly help decrease time between shots if he had to take a second or third shot. The cases eject from the top and I didn't know how the scope would affect the ejected shells. Would he have to mount the scope in front of the ejectionhole or above it? One last question...I know Winchester Pre-64 Model 70's are better guns, worth more and function better than ones made after 1964.Is there such a thing as Pre-64 Model 94 or did the production not change during the time the Model 70's were being changed? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Model 94 Question

There are scope mounts made for the Mod. 94 that have the scope slightly to the left of the ejection port, so as not to interfere with ejection. This works if you are right handed. It doesn't work if you are left handed. I think some of the newer versions have their ejection modified so that a scope can be mounted over the top of the bore. If there are holes already drilled and tapped for mounting a scope, the value won't be diminished by putting a scope on it. And, yes, there was a pre-64 Mod. 94. No version since then has been as good quality-wise. They are as sought after as a pre-64 Mod. 70
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd leave that baby UNSCOPED!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I've asked people why they've scoped their .30-30, they usually respond one of two ways: Most common, "So that I can shoot at longer ranges"; but occasionally I hear about low-powered glass to aid in target acquisition.

Compared to everything else out there, the .30-30 is probably right at the LAST cartridge I'd try to use over 150 yards, thanks to a mortar-like trajectory. While the Marlin's lend themselves to inexpensive scope mounting solutions thanks to the side-eject feature, the Winchesters (and especially the older ones) require more specialized (read: "Expensive") mounting systems. So, if you want to shoot farther, buy a different caliber more suited to do so.

As far as target acquisition, a low-powered scope can be handy, but my own experience is that I can do almost as well with iron sights - and for a lot less money. Seems the "ghost rings" are becoming kind of popular, but I've never used one. If you really want to get serious about short range target acquisition, you'd want a reflex sight (i.e. EOTech, etc.), but putting one on a .30-30 kind of strikes me the same way as putting a new turbine engine in your old conestoga wagon.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe I would just go with a good peep and let her go.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

I don't know that I'dsay the 30-30has a "mortar like trajectory". There are quite a few guys in our hunting party who have put deer down at 200 plus yards since the LeverRevolution rounds became available. None of those shots would have been possilbe without a scope.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

I'd leave that baby UNSCOPED!
+1

I have an old Marlin 30AS model and it originally has a Glenfield 4x32 scope on it. I ended up taking it off and going with the plain iron sights. To me a .30-30 lever gun just looks better without a scope.It's like a piece of history. It's a timeless classic. Keep it at 50-100 yards max and it'll drop any deer in its tracks. For longer distances, I have my Savage .308 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. Two rifles.... Two different purposes...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll beg to differ. None of those shots would have been possible without the LeveRevolution ammunition.

I regularly use open-sighted rifles (not a .30-30,though)on E-silhouettes well beyond 200 yards with peep sights. So, I don't know that I'dbelieve thatyou need a scope to shoot 200 yards.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contrary to a lot of comments here and there, the pre-'64 applies only to Winchester's Model 70 design. You can verify this for yourself in the Blue Book of Gun Values. There is a small "pop" in the value of some of the Winchester long guns made before 1964, but nothing dramatic. This "pre-'64"adjective refers to Winchester's "bean counting" decision to discontinue the excellent workmanship (there fore high production cost), control feed Model 70 for a rather cheaply made "push feed" design. Which has proven to be more or less a faillure in the market ever since.

Mounting a scope in any "modern" OTB rifle can reduce it's "value", but only if the mounting is done poorly ... such as marring the surfaces, wallowing out the scope tap holes, etc. In my opinion, if the shooter needs a scope to make the clean kill, mount one.

As for the "top ejecting" Model 94, there is only one reasonable choice. That is a side mounted scope. Special brakets are made just for this purpose. It will lookodd at first and for me, makes shooting awkward because the shooter's head will need to be held some what "off" of the stock in order to pick up the scope view. On the other hand, this type of mount leaves the fixed sightsclear for those close or quick onto-target shots, and at least gives the shooter a chance if rain or snow has "wet" the scope lense.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM

You've got me there...the flatter shooting cartridge that carries enough energy far enoughis really the only requirement for those kills. There's a difference between shotsI'd even attempt in the field and thoseI can pull off at a range though. I don't doubt that there are a whole lot of better shots than I am with iron sights, but I still think that average hunter shooting at a live animal over 200 yards away should be using a scope.

Quick Reply: Model 94 Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.