Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ? >

Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Old 03-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Spike

Default Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Well folks, can' t see waiting for the last minute, I need to get myself a 12ga. rifled barrel shotgun it will need to be able to have a scope mounted on it. pump action or auto not of real importance. I like the lay out of the Ithica II storms but can' t locate a dealer in my area with one . My second place idea is the 500 trophy from Mossberg. After giving this gun a good once over in the store the only thing that I did not like was the thumb safety switch. Thanks for your feed back.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Well the Ithica would be a better gun overall. But I know from first hand experience that the mossberg is a great slug gun. Very accurate and the price is good too. I' ve never had any problems with my mossberg, and the only real complaints I' ve hear with mossys are with the 835 model. The model 500 is more refined.

on the other hand, the Ithica has great slug guns that are probably put together better. Either one would be a fine hunting gun.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

If you are looking at the mossberg' s look at the 695 bolt action. I bought one last fall and am very happy with it.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:39 PM
Matriarch Doe!

I have a Mossberg 835 and have never had any complaints about it.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check these out...
Remington model 870 Super Slug Deer Gun

Mossberg Pump-Action Trophy Slugster

Browning w/ cantilever (to mount a scope) BPS model

Browning Gold Stalker & Gold Rifled Deer Stalker

Another Browning

sam 44: If you are looking at the mossberg' s look at the 695 bolt action. I bought one last fall and am very happy with it.
Some Mossberg 695' s made in ' 95 and ' 96 are being recalled. The serial numbers for the guns being recalled range from M000101 through M015304. They are being voluntarily recalled because the gun may discharge when the bolt is closed Almost forgot, they are being discontinued for 2003
Old 03-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Spike

On the Mossberg bolt shot guns is that a single shot or can it hold several rounds? When compared with a pump gun what has the faster action cycle time. bolt action rifles are the most accurate is this true for a shotgun also. Sam thanks for your post also everyone else for that matter...
Old 03-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

steve d,the 695 holds 3 rounds.One in the barrel and 2 in a detachable clip.I bought an extra clip for mine. I forgot to tell you that the barrel is ported .
Pa hunter86 , thanks for thr recall info. I checked my serial# and it wasn' t in the recall.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about the Rem. model 1100 fully rifledW/cantileaver for the scope. then you could buy additional barrels for other game. Just remove one and add the other, for hunting ,skeet,whatever.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Spike

I like to seperate Church and State, more to the point if a rifled barrel shotgun has a fixed barrel it should have increased accuracy. With the swap barrel systems I think we have to take into consideration that todays Sabot rounds are made to be more accurate and can acheive a higher margin of consistency, they therefore deserve what the gun makers are starting to produce Rifled- barrel-shotguns that have Rifle like capabilities.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:26 AM

Here is the set up that I bought last summer! I bought it when it was on sale and early enough that I got plenty of range time before the season started. The gun is a Remington 870 SPS Super Slug Deer Gun topped off with a Leupold VX-II Shotgun/Muzzleloader scope and PRW rings. With practice, I was able to put three shots in an area the size of my fist at 100 yds. I also killed two nice bucks during the Iowa shotgun season.

Quick Reply: Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.