Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ? >

Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

Old 03-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2003, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Need a New Shotgun for deer hunting ?

I cant say enough about my Hastings cantilever barrel. When you have your scope married to the barrel, accuracy improves greatly. I can then use my Beretta 390 for everything I shoot, which makes me a better shot than if I changed guns for each application. I use a Burris Signature series scope in 1.5X6 and love it. If I could give you any advice, I would strongly consider a shotgun that you would use for everything and use a cantilever scope mount rifled barrel for deer. I really like the variable power scope for picking out details in low light conditions, but that is personal preference, and if you are not religious about returning it to 1.5X each time, you can get stung with a deer at 10 yards and a scope on 6X.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Spike

that 870/cantilevered set-up in flat black looks sweet (Rubin and Otis). Checked out Weatherby They have a sharp looking rifled slug gun new for 2003 anyone get to have hands on with one?
Old 03-12-2003, 03:34 AM

I own a remington 1100 which i bought in 97' 2.75"

i think it is one of the best shotguns i own besides my win model 12. i put a rifled barrel on it and shot good.
i don' t know how the newer remington 1100' s are now due to plastic parts on some of the other remington' s i have seen lately.
i have heard more people dislike the mossbergs due to the front sights falling off during use in the field.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:23 PM

i have a mossberg 500 and at times i love it and other times i wish i had something else. if you are looking for a slug gun then i would definetly by the gun with a fixed rifled barrel. i bought mine with the regular barrel and then a after market slug barrel. i never could get it to zero in. even the sabots where all over the place-- it was just inconsistent. the gun is a workhorse and a good bird gun. i love to shoot 3" double 00 buckshot -- i just stay away from the slugs. about the safety i think that after you get it you will love the thumb safety. i find it to be very handy, easily fliped with very little movement-- if i had it to do all over again i would prob. look and the 835 or the 870. just my 2 cents worth
Old 03-14-2003, 04:57 AM

Since you' re shopping around for a shotgun, you might want to give these two a look as well.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...d=042&cat=012C

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...d=903&cat=012C