HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington 760 Gamemaster (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/255792-remington-760-gamemaster.html)

PA Bow/Flinter 08-03-2008 08:06 AM

Remington 760 Gamemaster

Does anybody know where I can get some information on this rifle? I was canoeing with my cousins on Friday and when I went to leave, my uncle stopped me, handed me this rifle, and said it was mine if I wanted it because he hadn't used it in years. So I now have a Rem. 760 Gamemaster in .243. I've done a little research on it, but haven't come up with any great history sites on it. It looks like the .243 was only produced in 1968 if I'm reading the Remington site correctly.

I shot 6 shots with it yesterday before I did any cleaning on it. The groups weren't great, but not terrible. The Redfield 3x-9xit came with (see thru bases for the fixed sites) seems to be in working condition.

The only problems I've found so far is the magazine gets stuck when it is full of shells (it expands width wise) and the trigger is extremely heavy (10 or 11 lbs). Does anyone know if this trigger is adjustable?

Overall the rifle seems to be in good condition, one scratch on the blueing of the barrel and a tiny spot of rust on the pump under the forearm wood.

Any information you guys can give me in greatly appreciated.

skybuster20ga 08-03-2008 08:47 AM

RE: Remington 760 Gamemaster

the 760 is a perfect trackers gun. we have several but usually carry the newer 7600's. the accuracy issue could be a few things. ide start w/ checking the scope bases and mounts. it could be the scope too. orrrr it could be you. try different ammo. give it a good cleaning too. perhaps the rifling in the barrel is slightly pitted from moisture and condensation if he hasnt used it in a long time. it should be a tack driver. all of our 760's and 7600s shoot m.o.a. groups. take the trgger assem. out and spray it w/ break free and let it set for a few minutes then blow it out w/ an air compressor. 10 lbs seems extremely heavy. the triggers in the 760/7600/7400/742 were never great anywyas. sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. i have some that have a lot of creep but none over 3lbs. i dont belive they are adjustable but i do think theres room to work on them. those rifles were made more for tracking and tight woods hunting, there for a lot of fast shots and snap shooting. trigger pull doesnt come in top play in those situations really. shoot them more like a shotgun then a bench rifle from a treestand. if the clip is expanding ide say try a new one. oil the clip up and blow that oput w/ air too. it could be the spring is just stiff or rusty. it syould fall out under its own weight. good luck

liquidorange 08-03-2008 09:52 AM

theres a guy on ebay that sells lighter trigger springs for 760-742-s for a couple dollars. takes about a minute to install.i would get a new clip for it. the newer 7600 clips will work in a 760 . good cleaning and try a couple different ammo brands and you should be good to go.

PA Bow/Flinter 08-03-2008 10:20 AM

I'm not too concerned about the accuracy yet. I just put a few shells through it to give it a baseline. I'm not expecting it to be a one holer, I'll be happy with 1.25 MOA or there abouts. I took it in the basement this morning and gave it a complete cleaning, or as thorough as I could. I was really surprised by the trigger, I mean I can cock the gun and hang it by the trigger and it will not fire. I put it on my bow scale and it finally released between 10 and 11 lbs. I may look into a new spring for it, but first, how do you get the internal workings out? I'm assuming remove the butt plate and take off the butt stock using a long screw driver, but where do I go from there?

Ruger-Redhawk 08-03-2008 10:58 AM

Remington might have a manual for these old 760's. I have a real old one. I don't know when it was made but it wasn't even drill and tapped for bases.A guy wanted it rebuilt by Remington. When it came back he rufused to pay what it was.I was working at that gun shop and picked it up for next to nothing.Mine's a 30-06 and stupidly I had the barrel cut down to 17 1/2" for use on a old three wheeler. That's been years ago and I regret it now.Even with the short barrel it does quite well. I haven't had it out in years and I can't honestlytell what groupit willshoot or what ammo I was using. I did have it drilled and tapped by a old gunsmith buddy. I think you'll be happy with it.

skybuster20ga 08-03-2008 12:40 PM

what are you calling "internal workings"? as far as accuracy goes it should be a one holer. all our 760/7600's are in everything from 6mm to 35 whelen and most of which are carbines.

gunnermhr 08-03-2008 01:26 PM

One holer per shot maybe! I never new the 760's or 7600's to be more accurate than a bolt action and there arn't too many of those in a factory gun that will shoot one hole at a 100 yards for 5 shots. Any factory gun shooting under an inch at a 100 yards is very good. If you get that 760 shooting in the 1.5" range I would consider it a good shooter. Did you clean the copper fouling out? If you use something amonia based like sweets, run patches through it until you don't see blue. Let em sit for 10 minutes or so between patches. That will help accuracy but it will take a long time to get it clean i'm guessing. Good luck

BigTiny 08-03-2008 02:00 PM

I had one up til this year. It's the only gun I sold that I miss. I know the guy who bought it, so I might try to get it back after the season. Maybe he will miss a deer and sell it back to me. It shot right at MOA with regular green box ammo. I never tried any nicer stuff in it since it seemed pointless. I tried the managed-recoil in it and it shot just over MOA with that. Those are really good guns. Very durable and fast on a follow-up. The stock is the same as a 870 20 ga. if you want to put new stocks on it.

skybuster20ga 08-03-2008 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

One holer per shot maybe! I never new the 760's or 7600's to be more accurate than a bolt action and there arn't too many of those in a factory gun that will shoot one hole at a 100 yards for 5 shots. Any factory gun shooting under an inch at a 100 yards is very good. If you get that 760 shooting in the 1.5" range I would consider it a good shooter. Did you clean the copper fouling out? If you use something amonia based like sweets, run patches through it until you don't see blue. Let em sit for 10 minutes or so between patches. That will help accuracy but it will take a long time to get it clean i'm guessing. Good luck
why wouldnt they be as accurate. there only down fall is the trigger really as far as accuracy goes. also most groupos are shot in 3's. i should have been more specific and said "clover leafs" instead of "one holer"

PA Bow/Flinter 08-03-2008 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: skybuster20ga

what are you calling "internal workings"? as far as accuracy goes it should be a one holer. all our 760/7600's are in everything from 6mm to 35 whelen and most of which are carbines.
Sorry, I was just typing a fast reply before I headed off to work. Basically I'm interested in getting to the bolt and trigger assembly where I can give them a good cleaning and polishing. I am wondering if the heavy trigger is just caused by dust and and build up around the trigger and sear.

I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what I want to do with this gun yet because its basically filling a gap I didn't know I had. I've got a Rem 7 in .308 for deer and a Rem 700 VLS in .22-250 for varmits, and there isn't much else to hunt in PA. I'm thinking of keeping it as a gun for beginners, or possibly a snap shooting type gun for close quarter hunting, but I'm not sure how the .243 will do for that.