Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Changing The Stock.... Gaining Accuracy??? >

Changing The Stock.... Gaining Accuracy???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Changing The Stock.... Gaining Accuracy???

Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Changing The Stock.... Gaining Accuracy???

I want to start by saying the only thing I've ever done to a gun is a trigger job. I'm not a big paper puncher although, I still like to shoot good groups when I go. I've heard several people refer to the Remington 700 SPS stocks as cheap plastic stocks. I don't mind the way they look or feel, at all. What would I gain by changing out the stock? Will my gun really shoot that much better? If it will dramatically improve my shooting, then I'm in, and I don't mind spending the dough. If it's more of just a looks thing, I don't really care, and I'll just be happy with a trigger job, and call it good.

I know every gun is different. I guess my real question is...How much better on average is a gun going to shoot,changing from a cheap plastic stock to a precision stock?

Thanks Bryan
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Changing The Stock.... Gaining Accuracy???

The key word here is bedding. A plastic stock will flex more and not be as stable a platform as a stock with layers of kevlar/carbon/fiberglass and bedding block.A rigid stock will make for more reliable POI and should help acchive better accuracy. Depending on how your gun shoots now,you may or may not realize accuracy improvments. As long as it shoots good-I wouldn't worry about it much.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM

+1 on bedding and stock rigidity.

McMillan or bust.........
Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your previous replies are absolutely correct. If you are getting acceptable accuracy in your mind from the way it shoots now, I wouldn't fool with it. I have an SPS Varmint that gives me exceptional accuracy just the way it came from the factory. I'm not touching it.
If you get reasonable accuracy wuth factory ammo, good. That to me is where I usually step away from worrying about rebedding or a stock swap and start to work up ammo tailor-made for that particular gun. Good handloads will quite often really make a particular gun shine. That's what makes ya grin....