Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 help me pick a slug gun >

help me pick a slug gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help me pick a slug gun

Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Default RE: help me pick a slug gun

I really haven't noticed anything that special about the H&R's other than they shoot well for the price. I have several friends with 500's, 870's and 11-87's that shoot just as well when you find a load they like. They all have similar twist rates and barrel length. This is with Cantilever barrels mind you, not receiver mounted scopes with non pinned barrels.

The Brownings actually have a faster twist rate. They cost a bit more but really are a better gun.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Spike

The 870 and 11-87 are well made expensive guns but they don't print 1" groups like the H&R's. I've seen other H&R's that don't shoot as well as mine, I guess I lucked out with a winner.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Spike

Check out http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=148858. JCChartboy is the expert on slugguns.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 PM

They will if you find the right loads for them, just like the H&R's. Most of the guys I know shooting modern sabots get 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards with a scope once they find out what their gun likes.

Do more research on JCC and you will find he is surrounded by LOTS of controversy as well. He used to post here quite a bit I think. The only real benefit I can think of with the H&R is it has a better trigger, and it's much heavier. As far as inherent accuracy the design really isn't any better or worse than a cantilever barrel.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Spike

Most guys don't even get 1-2" groups shooting Centerfires, I see mostly 3-5"groups from slugguns at my club and most of these guys are shooting 870's and 500's with rifled barrels. I was able to get 5" groups at 100 yrds with a rifled choke tube using an 870. JC is certainly opinionated, I won't argue with that, but he knows his stuff and can prove it. I still have yet to see a sabot gun that is more accurate than the H&R except for the oes I mentioned earlier.

I will admit that my H&R is more accurate than most H&R's but every sabot gun is different even from the same manufacturer. You are correct about finding the right load for any gun but I have yet to see a sabot gun perform like the H&R straight out of the box. I don't buy cheap guns or scopes, I have a leupold vx-III 3.5x10 on mine and that helps the accuracy quite a bit.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM

If I didn't get better than 2 inch groups with a centerfire I wouldn't have it very long. I think that lends itself more to shooting ability then it does accuracy of the weapon. Some just can't shoot well with a gun that recoils a lot, and lets face it slug guns are not that pleasant to shoot for the most part.

I guess our personal experiences just differ then, because I have not seen any H&Rs be vastly more accurate then any other properly set up slug gun being shot by the same person. And I have owned an H&R Ultra deluxe and a mossberg 500 and know many more that own them along with remingtons. Most that shoot really well "out of the box" just got lucky and found a load that worked good fairly quickly. And those that seem to have bad luck probably didn't put much time, effort or money into finding a load their gun liked.

We are talking barrels with similar twist rates with optics fixed to the barrel, there really isn't any rocket science to it. Like I said before, the H&Rs got a reputation for being accurate guns for the price, then it somehow snowballed into they were ultra accurate weapons, which I personally haven't seen. Not saying there is anything wrong them though. They are a great value. $250-$275 for a gun that on par with guns that may cost twice as much is a pretty good thing. As long as you are ok with one shot and rifle that weights in well above 10 lbs.

Do some research, I used to post just as much as JCC did and belong to many of the same forums. To my Knowledge he doesn't even own an H&R unless he got one recently. I haven't visited Shotgunworld in a while though. I decided I liked my muzzle loader better and sold my slug gun. My muzzle loader is more accurate and doesn't cost nearly as much to shoot.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

lmao 3 to 5 inch groubs with a centerfire 2 inch even heck every tells me i should get 1 inch or less with a triumph muzzleloader.
I have know alot of rifles and rifle owners to do better then 1 inch heck i bought a used marlin 30 30 had a used tasco(el cheapo scope on it) and i was doing 2 inchs with win. ammo and right after i bought the gun.
ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

If I didn't get better than 2 inch groups with a centerfire I wouldn't have it very long. I think that lends itself more to shooting ability then it does accuracy of the weapon. Some just can't shoot well with a gun that recoils a lot, and lets face it slug guns are not that pleasant to shoot for the most part.

I guess our personal experiences just differ then, because I have not seen any H&Rs be vastly more accurate then any other properly set up slug gun being shot by the same person. And I have owned an H&R Ultra deluxe and a mossberg 500 and know many more that own them along with remingtons. Most that shoot really well "out of the box" just got lucky and found a load that worked good fairly quickly. And those that seem to have bad luck probably didn't put much time, effort or money into finding a load their gun liked.

We are talking barrels with similar twist rates with optics fixed to the barrel, there really isn't any rocket science to it. Like I said before, the H&Rs got a reputation for being accurate guns for the price, then it somehow snowballed into they were ultra accurate weapons, which I personally haven't seen. Not saying there is anything wrong them though. They are a great value. $250-$275 for a gun that on par with guns that may cost twice as much is a pretty good thing. As long as you are ok with one shot and rifle that weights in well above 10 lbs.

Do some research, I used to post just as much as JCC did and belong to many of the same forums. To my Knowledge he doesn't even own an H&R unless he got one recently. I haven't visited Shotgunworld in a while though. I decided I liked my muzzle loader better and sold my slug gun. My muzzle loader is more accurate and doesn't cost nearly as much to shoot.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM

I just did some catching up on that site and read more of that thread. I will agree with JC on the 20 ga. If I were to get another slug gun right now I would get either a H&R or a Savage in 20 ga. They are very similar to the inline muzzle loader loads currently available.

My H&R Ultra 12 ga seemed to like winchester platinums and hated most of the faster ammo. Didn't care much for Barns either, which upset me because I love those bullets. I got between 1.5 and 2 inch groups with the platinums and closer to 5 or 6 inches with the barnes. Mine actually shot rifled slugs really well for 3 or 4 shots then it would foul out the barrel. Didn't care much for lightfields either, but I didn't try every model either.

Both my buddies remingtons shoot similar groups at 100 yards (2 inch) with winchester BRI 2 3/4 loads. The 11-87 has a hastings barrel and the 87O was a special purpose turkey gun with a stock remignton cantilever slug barrel. Throw 3 inch loads in either of them and the groups almost double. Slug guns are PICKEY from what I have found.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Spike

Well like I said, my H&R is a gem. True, there are many who don't know how to shoot but I use a sinclair rest and spend lots of time at the range working on centerfires and Ml's most of the time. I ran into JC a few times at the Clinton range in NJ and he is one of a kind, his girlfriend is an excellent shot as well.

Yes, a 10lb rifle is alot but for the slug hunting I do which is mostly from blinds or stands, its not much of an issue. The onlyadvantage I see from a 500, 870 or 11-87 is the quick follow up shot if needed, but with the accruracy of an H&R, one shotI all I ever need.

ML's are great but if my hunting situation is less that 125yrds I'll use a slug.

I respect your opinions but I can only believe what I see first hand. I usually don't believe posted range pictures on forumsbecause who is to say that the target was placed at 100 yrds or 20 yards. I'm sure you agree with me on this one. I'm not saying that you go by what you see posted on forums.

I'm finished with this thread, good luck Paul.

Dominick

Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

28 years of hunting, 27 years with a 12ga. till last year when I purchased my H&R Ultra Deleuxe in 20ga., using Hornady SSTs, a complete tack driver

I know JCC, he hunted with me in Illinois last year, the guy knows what he is talking about!!!!

Quick Reply: help me pick a slug gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.