Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308 or .243 >

.308 or .243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308 or .243

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Default RE: .308 or .243

What brands are we bashing? We are simply discussing the attributes of certain cartridges and expressing our opinions. I haven't seen anyone bashing another person, product or business. Nor have I seen anyone really arguing. So far the only posts that don't really belong here are yours.

And for the record:

Dodge
French Toast
Ice Cream
And Dr Pepper

I just like to be different I guess.

Paul
Old 08-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote#68

I once read an article about this on an antilope hunt where the light bullet exploded on impact and they followed the goat for several miles and shot it again,man that would be hard to do on a whitetail in ky.thats why I like 100grainers as a minimun for deer,but thats just my opinion.I normally use 150's.but I have killed many deer with my 243 also,100 grain federal fusions.
FYI, bullets which explode are caused by misapplication of bullets to caliber, shot distance, hardness of target, etc. This really happens only when you try to shoot a light bullet meant to expand at slow (~2000fps) in a super mag at super (3300+fps) velocities. This can be an issue in calibers like .308 where there are bullets from 100 - 240gr matched to cases from 30 carbine to 30-378 Weatherby. Yes, usually it is light bullets which blow up, but I'm sure a 180 FP designed for 30-30 blows up in a 30-378.

Avoiding bullet blow up is as simple as a call to the bullet maker. Hey, I have a 30 WizBangBoom, what bullet should I load for deer at 1000 yards? Will it blow up if I shoot at a deer 50 yards away?

The new all copper bullets are supposed to handle a wider velocity rang without blowing up.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

I think it's long past time that topics such as this are reported for deletion. They are intentionally argumentative and don't answer any particular question or problem. They always degenerate into flame wars and should therefore be removed.

16. Brand Bashing and generally arguementative posts will not be tolerated. Legitimate posts regarding problems that you have experienced with a particular piece of equipment or service will be allowed. However, posts that are directly bashing a product or manufacturer are not allowed on HuntingNet.com. These forums and chat room are designed as a place for hunters to gather to exchange stories, advice, and meet other hunters from around the world - not to argue amongst ourselves or to talk down about any individual business or product. All posts of this nature will be removed and disciplinary action will be taken against their author.

You sound pretty argumentative inyour first poston this threadyourself! Maybe you should take some of your own advice! Calm down and relax. No need to get so worked up over an internet forum.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 PM

THERE'S A SEARCH FUNCTION????!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:26 PM

There is one, if you can get it to work reliably. For some reason the one on this site doesn't work incredibly well.

Paul
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

FYI,nksmfamjp I read the article in field and stream,I know what causes bullets to explode,the author stated that it was a factory 80 grain 243 that exploded on impact with the rib cage of a 90lb goat,maybe the bullet manufacturer that he was using,needs you for quality control or inspecter,since this happened with a factory load?I was only stating what I read,I have personally never had any problem with this happening on any game animals I have shot with either caliber.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are truly only hunting varmints and deer, the .243 is you best bet.

Edit- If hunting down south only, a 22.250 would be another good option.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Depends on what type of factory load though. If you are talking 80 grn it could either be a big game bullet or a varmint bullet. They are very different in how they react to game. A big game bullet is designed to have controlled expansion giving it better penetration and retaining bullet weight. A varmint bullet is designed to expand rapidly and fragment for less penetration and dumping more energy into the animal.

And normally the faster the bullet the more they tend to expand, so an 80 grn is pretty light for a deer in my personal opinion. Not that it wouldn't work if it was properly constructed. And some times bullets do freak things. You can't base bullet performance off from one incident, it would take shooting many animals to gain a true understanding of what it will really do reliably.

Paul
Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mike87

HI! im looking at a remigton bolt action varmit rifle in a .308 or .243 my main purpose would be plinking a little bit but mostly hunting varmit to deer in ms where shoot dont exceed over 200 yards in my area i looked into the .308 and it has a 12'' twist own the barrel and was wondering if it would shoot light or heavy loads better cause i know bout the prajectores but not much own twist in the barrels! thanks for the help guys!
People,People,PEOPLE!!!! Remeber the topic of this thread??