Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Federal Fusion vs Premium VitalShok in 308? >

Federal Fusion vs Premium VitalShok in 308?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Federal Fusion vs Premium VitalShok in 308?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Default RE: Federal Fusion vs Premium VitalShok in 308?

Thank you for the input - I plan to start testing rounds in the next week or so - testing rounds with a new 308 Tikka as well - lots to get squared away before the season
Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Trying the rifle with different rounds would be my recommendation. Any of them will be completely adequate for deer, but you will probably find one or two that seem to be more accurate in YOUR rifle. I capitalized because not every rifle shoots each load the same. Go with the most accurate because this will instill more confidence in the setup.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VA_Buck

In looking at these two in 308 Win, they appear to almost be exact. Was wondering if anyone has really tested these side by side in 150 grain. Here is the test data:

Premium Vital Shok Nosler Partition
Velocity Muzzle 2840
Velocity 100 yrd 2604
Energy Muzzle 2686
Energy 100 Yrd 2259

Federal Fusion
Velocity Muzzle 2820
Velocity 100 yrd 2600
Energy Muzzle 2648
Energy 100 Yrd 2252

Wind drift, average range etc is identical

So what is the major difference and why one of the other? Thanks.
Reported for posting cross-forum. See my answer in your same tpic in the hunter gear review forum. Please do not post same topic in multiple forums.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

VA Buck... From what I have seen, the difference in Fusion vs Federal Premium is simply: $$$$$$.

Both work beautifully out of my Savage .308 w/scope. The Federal Premium VitalShok does have better accuracy, but then so the the Fusion. I would say to test both out of your .308 and see which it likes better.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Reported for posting cross-forum. See my answer in your same tpic in the hunter gear review forum. Please do not post same topic in multiple forums.
A simple note for something like this would have sufficed - thanks for being that guy...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 308 here in kentucky, it is hard to beat a 150 gr. core lokt bullet. The ammo is cheap and I can shoot to my hearts content at gun range. I have shot several deer with this round ranging from 25 yards to around 210 yards the bullet did a good job on all. Also I tried a ballistic tip for a couple of seasons devestating to say the least at close range but a little messy for me.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: cty100

I use a 308 here in kentucky, it is hard to beat a 150 gr. core lokt bullet. The ammo is cheap and I can shoot to my hearts content at gun range. I have shot several deer with this round ranging from 25 yards to around 210 yards the bullet did a good job on all. Also I tried a ballistic tip for a couple of seasons devestating to say the least at close range but a little messy for me.
I agree on the ballistic tips - I shot a doe at 75 yards with with 30/06 and it was a mess as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

In looking at these two in 308 Win, they appear to almost be exact. Was wondering if anyone has really tested these side by side in 150 grain. Here is the test data:

Premium Vital Shok Nosler Partition
Velocity Muzzle 2840
Velocity 100 yrd 2604
Energy Muzzle 2686
Energy 100 Yrd 2259

Federal Fusion
Velocity Muzzle 2820
Velocity 100 yrd 2600
Energy Muzzle 2648
Energy 100 Yrd 2252

Wind drift, average range etc is identical

So what is the major difference and why one of the other? Thanks.
I'm glad someone besides me is finally starting to take offense at this issue. The mods never seem to do anything about it though.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 PM

I'm glad someone besides me is finally starting to take offense at this issue. The mods never seem to do anything about it though.
You nancys sure do make life fun - it didnt get any response in the other forum so I added it somewhere that it might get some response. I am just glad you guys are so helpful and on top of things - you are the kind that really make asking questions fun. Glad you can add to the discussions.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You nancys sure do make life fun - it didnt get any response in the other forum so I added it somewhere that it might get some response. I am just glad you guys are so helpful and on top of things - you are the kind that really make asking questions fun. Glad you can add to the discussions.
You did get a very informative response, from me.

You seem to think that it's "fun" to ignore the rules. Well you're new here so I'll just let you in on a little secret. Follw the rules and be repsectful and you'll do just fine.

Perhaps taking the time to read the rules may be a good first step.

11. No spamming; do not post the same message in every topic with different titles, but with the same message. Only post your message into the topic it most relates too.

http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/staticpage_detail.aspx?id=291

Quick Reply: Federal Fusion vs Premium VitalShok in 308?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.