HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   has anything like this happend to you (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/254721-has-anything-like-happend-you.html)

bigtim6656 07-27-2008 05:52 PM

has anything like this happend to you

when i was hunting in KY my second year the area i hunted had alot of moonshiners and pot growers. even some people that might shoot you if they thought you might cross there property line.

So anytime i went scouting i carried a pistol with me.

Well the first day of gun season i went to a dry lake bed with my AR which was the only rifle i had at the time.
At about 10 a guy walks out of the wood up to me and ask if i would help him drag his buck out.
I said OK i had not seen a deer and figure with this guy walking all over the place i wont. I opted to take my gun since it cost 1000 bucks.

We get to the deer a nice 8 point i had saw the night before.
He said well i think i can get it. I asked if he wanted my rope to drag it or if he wanted me to carry his gun out he said no.

We get 20 yards to the lake bed and he walk up with out the deer come backs says dam my Buddies ant here to help yet. Which i would have been glad to help. He says i will gut it out here to lighten it up. again i would have helped.

He does i stayed to watch.
When we get out of the woods there 5 yards from my blind.
Something in me told me to take my gun off of safe which i did.
We get up to the guys they say nice deer.One guy even b*tched me out for using a ar15 when he had a semi auto rifle.

They left and i left. I did see the guy who shot the deer the next morning and he said he shot a doe in the same spot.

I got thinking of that hunt to day. I really think had it not been for that black rifle i would have gotten robed or worst.

Anything like that happen to you

MagnumMan308 07-27-2008 11:03 PM

RE: has anything like this happend to you

Not quite as dramatic, but I have had a weird encounter in the woods. I hunt 350 acres of private land up behind my house, waaaay up on the side of a big hill, steep nasty terrain till you get up top, and very secluded, forest on each side of the property line.

It was early October, and I was bowhunting. About 3:00 the squirrels were out in force, I'm 20' up a tree in my climbing stand watching them, when all of the sudden I feel like I'm being watched. I don't know how to explain it, but I just gota gutfeeling someone was starring me down, and it was a bit eerie, but I've gotten it a time or two when deer sneak up on me so i kind of brushed it off. I started to look around, and on my 4', over my shoulder, I spot a guy about 60-70 yards away, starring at me. He looked to be a 30 somethingin street cloths, no visible weapon, definitely not hunting or scouting, and definitely NOT supposed to be on the property, 1/2 mileup a hill from awell posted border.

I didn't know what to do, so I just looked back at him, expecting him to just move once he confirmed I was a hunter. The Guy just stood there staring, not moving, not saying a word. after30secs I do a big, broad sweeping wave, and point at my bow. This guy doesn't wave back, or say anything. At this point I was getting worried, and Icall out loudly to him, asking him if he needs help. Without so much as a word, the guy just turns around, and starts walking down thehill the way I assume he came, heading directly away from me. The guy did a heck of a job of not making a sound as he walked.

I was abit stirred up afterwards. You never expect to run into another hunter way up on that hill, let alone have sometrespasser in street clothsstalkup on you, stare you down, and not acknowledge your presence when you make contact. What made things worse was being up a tree with nothing but a bow. Had the guy wanted to make trouble, and had something so simple as a cheap handgun, I'd have been in the proverbial $hit. You have to watch out for folks in the woods nowadays I spose. Meth Labs, pot fields, and the folks that run them are nothing to mess around with.

bigtim6656 07-28-2008 08:01 AM

ya that sound like it could have went bad.
Heck when i was down in KY I went out to check my corn in the yard.
I here something walking through the woods. i figure it is a deer. heck i had seen 18 in my little yard at once.

I walk over to the ridge and see to blaze orange vest.
I go inside grab my rifle the AR i hunted with.
I noticed they saw the house and walked around the property to the barn.
I go over there and they come up right by the barn i saw hi how are you.
Like i had no idea they were there. They tell me they were scouting for deer for gun season.
If so why did they have on orange and both had bolt action rifles. they where botching. I nicely informed them this was private land and they did not have permission to be here.
They said ohh no that public land down the hill. I said no it is public 1000 yards or so down the creek from my property line.
The guy ask if i hunting with the AR. i said yes. then he asked if i just unloaded when i saw a deer.
I said no one round for the deer and 9 for trespasser who do not learn the property lines.
Note the reason i took my rifle and went out there and did not call the cops. this was 20 miles from the cops and they would have been gone.

They left and went the wrong way to go back to the public land.

ORIGINAL: MagnumMan308

Not quite as dramatic, but I have had a weird encounter in the woods. I hunt 350 acres of private land up behind my house, waaaay up on the side of a big hill, steep nasty terrain till you get up top, and very secluded, forest on each side of the property line.

It was early October, and I was bowhunting. About 3:00 the squirrels were out in force, I'm 20' up a tree in my climbing stand watching them, when all of the sudden I feel like I'm being watched. I don't know how to explain it, but I just gota gutfeeling someone was starring me down, and it was a bit eerie, but I've gotten it a time or two when deer sneak up on me so i kind of brushed it off. I started to look around, and on my 4', over my shoulder, I spot a guy about 60-70 yards away, starring at me. He looked to be a 30 somethingin street cloths, no visible weapon, definitely not hunting or scouting, and definitely NOT supposed to be on the property, 1/2 mileup a hill from awell posted border.

I didn't know what to do, so I just looked back at him, expecting him to just move once he confirmed I was a hunter. The Guy just stood there staring, not moving, not saying a word. after30secs I do a big, broad sweeping wave, and point at my bow. This guy doesn't wave back, or say anything. At this point I was getting worried, and Icall out loudly to him, asking him if he needs help. Without so much as a word, the guy just turns around, and starts walking down thehill the way I assume he came, heading directly away from me. The guy did a heck of a job of not making a sound as he walked.

I was abit stirred up afterwards. You never expect to run into another hunter way up on that hill, let alone have sometrespasser in street clothsstalkup on you, stare you down, and not acknowledge your presence when you make contact. What made things worse was being up a tree with nothing but a bow. Had the guy wanted to make trouble, and had something so simple as a cheap handgun, I'd have been in the proverbial $hit. You have to watch out for folks in the woods nowadays I spose. Meth Labs, pot fields, and the folks that run them are nothing to mess around with.

bigtim6656 07-28-2008 08:03 AM

there are alot of meth shops here in sullivan in not as many as ky but enough.
not sure about pot fields but in ky if you came up on someone doing something illegal and was unarmed they would find you years later when the creeks flooded out again.

Briman 07-28-2008 03:53 PM

The biggest problem I had was with anti-hunters.

I was hunting geese on public land one saturday morning and abunch of yahoos walked in and parked their butts 300 yards away. Everytime a flight of geese came in, these guys would stand up, hoot and holler and fire their shotguns straight up to make the geese flair away. This went on for about 2 hours and other hunters started to pack it in, a few who passed by my position were visibly agitated.

My buddy and I finally packed it in to go get some breakfast, we drove past the vehicle (an old toyota corolla- go figure!)that the bungholes drove upin and it had the typical Peta and other far left wing stickers on it.

At our breakfast, went back out, the bungholes were gone and we filled our tags in the afternoon.

bigtim6656 07-28-2008 05:53 PM

that is illegal here

ORIGINAL: Briman

The biggest problem I had was with anti-hunters.

I was hunting geese on public land one saturday morning and abunch of yahoos walked in and parked their butts 300 yards away. Everytime a flight of geese came in, these guys would stand up, hoot and holler and fire their shotguns straight up to make the geese flair away. This went on for about 2 hours and other hunters started to pack it in, a few who passed by my position were visibly agitated.

My buddy and I finally packed it in to go get some breakfast, we drove past the vehicle (an old toyota corolla- go figure!)that the bungholes drove upin and it had the typical Peta and other far left wing stickers on it.

At our breakfast, went back out, the bungholes were gone and we filled our tags in the afternoon.

98Redline 07-29-2008 07:09 AM

Briman.....not sure about up there in the UP, but in PA there are laws aganst hunter harassmant. If I was witness to that going on, I would be on the horn to the local game warden getting him involved ASAP.

If they were actual PETA a-holes then they probably didn't have all of the necessary licenses and may have gotten pinched for poaching.....one could only hope.

Briman 07-29-2008 07:23 AM

Yep, its very illegal in my state.

Wasn't a whole lot that could be done though- we were 7-8 miles from the nearest town and this was in the latte 1990s when cell phone ownership wasn't as rampant as today (I still don't own one).

bigtim6656 07-29-2008 10:08 AM

lol your right i would call the cops say theres a bunch of yahoos shooting all over the place and i do not think they licensed
heck here you can get a reward for turning in a botcher
thats a good hunt get paid to turn the peta a** holes in for botching birds.

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Briman.....not sure about up there in the UP, but in PA there are laws aganst hunter harassmant. If I was witness to that going on, I would be on the horn to the local game warden getting him involved ASAP.

If they were actual PETA a-holes then they probably didn't have all of the necessary licenses and may have gotten pinched for poaching.....one could only hope.

bigtim6656 07-29-2008 10:09 AM

i have had cells but i stopped when i went to ky no signel heck in nc you had to drive 20 miles up a mountain to get one

ORIGINAL: Briman

Yep, its very illegal in my state.

Wasn't a whole lot that could be done though- we were 7-8 miles from the nearest town and this was in the latte 1990s when cell phone ownership wasn't as rampant as today (I still don't own one).