Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 to BOSS or not? >

to BOSS or not?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

to BOSS or not?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default to BOSS or not?

i've been looking into getting a new rifle and i'm really leaning towards a Browning left handed stainless steel A-bolt .270 win. now that the Browning BOSS system has been on the market for a while now, what is the general consensus? i understand the theory. but, i was wondering if it is a huge benefit. is it worth the extra money? is it worth taking the extra time to dial it in? is there a chance that it will come loose and screw up the grouping? is it a robust setup? are the A-bolt's generaly accurate enough not to have to worry about the BOSS? i know that the ported BOSS will help with recoil, which i'm not worried about, but will increase noise.so i would probably use the non ported BOSS. is the loss of the actual barrel lengtha major concern?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: to BOSS or not?

I have a LH SS A-Bolt Stalker in .270 and it doesn't need a BOSS system. Shoots several factory loads very well and handloads even better.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ported BOSS is freaking loud- you don't want one of those unless you are always going to be wearing good hearing protection while shooting it- including hunting.

I sighted in a friend's Win Mod70 with a ported boss. He gave me two boxes of corelokts (30-06), we looked at the BOSS chart, dialed the BOSS in, and shot it. It was giving sub-moa groups with factory ammo, but on the other hand, we didn't have a way of testing it without the brake to see if the brake made the difference- I think it did. The recoil was very light for a 30-06, but like I said, LOUD.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

to BOSS or not?
NOT.....very simple
Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another NOT!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:43 PM

I've owned a Browning A-Bolt .270 since about 1993 and I ordered it with the BOSS system. I shot it one time without hearing protection. I was deafened for about 5-6 hours. Literally !!! I went straight out and bought a BOSS CR .... conventional recoil .... and changed it out. I still get it dialed in, but have the standard recoil .... no biggie. .....

BUT ... looking back, if I had to do it again, in everyday hunting situations, the BOSS adds nothing to the guns inherent accuracy since most hunts are one shot and done. If a follow up is required, the guns are inherently accurate enough right out of the box to do the job.

So the answer is NOT.......

Good Luck and God Bless

MET
Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

have a bar in .270 without the boss, and a abolt in .300win mag with it, I will never again own a boss/muzzle break on a rifle.

the .270 shoots amazing, the abolt shoots 1-1.5" 3 shot groups, not great, but not bad IMO for a .300 mag.

I'm personally considering buying the boss-cr for my abolt, or having it cut off essentially.

Looks ugly, and im not sure it tunes anything, they give you settings on where to tune it by load, but the booklet doesn't have every load, and of course the load you use will be one unlisted, and if you handload, why have a boss in the first place?

Also they're very loud, field hearing protection is really amust on muzzle breaks, and if youre not going to do that, you really shouldnt have a break then for your ears sake.

I'd avoid the boss.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A while back Browning and Winchester had a accuracy contest using the BOSS System. The guy who won the contest shot a 5 shot group at 100m under .25" using a stock Browning Varmint rifle in .242 Win. The BOSS System and his own handloads were used. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Boss system on my .270 stainless stalker.I don't use the muzzlebreak head I use the Conventional recoil head.It is a great shooting rifle and I am glad that I can shoot what ever ammunition I wish to and adjust the rifle to the ammo versus the other way around.I wouldn't would use a rifle with a muzzle break on it because of the dramatically increase blast volume.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Spike

I have a SS Abolt 270 with BOSS.It will shot 1/2" and smaller groups when I do my part,which is about half the time off a portable bench.For hunting my next gun would be without the BOSS.I used the CR not the ported,as others had stated hunting and shooting with the ported one shot and forget hearing for about two hours.If shooting paper I would get the BOSS.Very easy to tune,it is amazing tuning a BOSS as to how much your groups will change,go from 3"+ groups to 1/2" groups with a few turns.

Quick Reply: to BOSS or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.