Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEED OPINION >

NEED OPINION

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEED OPINION

Old 03-05-2003, 01:42 PM

Default NEED OPINION

How do you guys feel about see thru scope mounts. I personally could never hold as tight as a group with them and think that they arent as solid as say mounting right next to your rifle, with regular mounts, need your input thanks.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:04 PM

Default RE: NEED OPINION

Never cared for them.[:' (]
Old 03-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was told by a guy who always was around guns and something like trained to goto the olypics wit ha pistol or something like that but hes a good shot so i hear...hes older now and told me the lower the better so i dont have to raise my head or anything...get the stock solid on your cheek and look straight...thats where he told me my scope should go..and i also think one likttle bump and they will come out of place easier than regular mounts because they are so high.....i see no use for them...either use a scope or dont..or get 2 guns...you can always use a reason for another gun! but if u see the need for them they been sold for a while i doubt they can be HORRIBLE...
Old 03-05-2003, 03:47 PM

Well, I do my fair share of hunting in an area that has both heavily wooded areas and fields where 300 yard shots often present themselves, so most of my rifles have the over/under sights. Honestly, I do just as well with higher scopes as I do with my rifles that have scope only. I like them!
Old 03-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you take a look at a set of Leaupold or Weaver mounts you will find heavy precisely machined mounts that are very sturdy. If you look at the see through mounts, you will find thin rings that are very flimsy by comparison. If you are going to shoot with iron sights, shoot with iron sights. If youy are going to shoot with a scope, install proper scope mounts. You simply cannot have it both ways and expect your scope to be stable.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to have them on my moose/bush gun and I never thought they were bad.......until I replaced them with standard mounts[]. If you need to see irons, go with irons, otherwise stick with a good set of standard dovetail mounts for the glass to gun.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:39 PM

i have used them before and found that with the mount i had to tilt my head up in a weird angle and my cheek was not even on the stock at all. plus i could never get decent groups with it.
took the mounts off and went with the regular mounts and my groups tightened up.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

i' ve never cared for them, i feel that they can cause more trouble than what they are worth. if you are like most folks here then you probably own more than one firearm, so use one that has iron sites for thick cover areas where you will most likely have to make snap shots, and then have one mounted with a scope for hunting in more open areas. i know that some people like to hunt with only one rifle for most of their hunting, regardless of the terrain. if you are one of those folks then buy QUALITY mounts and a QUALITY variable scope and just adjust the power according to the area that you are hunting in, ie. low power for close thick cover areas and higher power for more open areas. i usually take two rifles with me hunting for two reasons, one reason is that i will always have a back up (which i haven' t needed yet, thankfully), and another reason is that i can use the scope mounted rifle from the stand where i shouldn' t have to make snap shots and i usually use an iron sited rifle when i' m still hunting in thick areas. to each their own, but i don' t see the need.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hummmmm See -Thru mounts. One words to discribe them" garbage" They' re made of Aluminum extrusion. One little bump and the are knocked out.Raises your scope to high.I have a gunsmith friend who has a wall full of them he' s taken off customers guns.He has them hung up.There are or was dozens of them hanging there.Some years back they had Flip Over rings. They were allot better in my opinion. I haven' t seen them for a long time.Probably not even made anymore.Your scope is only as good as your bases and rings.You would be much better off buying quality base and rings.If these See-Thurs were made of steel they would probably be much better. I' ve never seen any made of steel.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-05-2003, 06:39 PM

Keep your scope as close to the bore as possible and ditch the see-through mounts. A quality scope on low power (x2, x3) can be just as quick to use as iron sights. High mounts through off your trajectory and they place your head in an ackward position relative to the stock of the rifle. JMHO.

Quick Reply: NEED OPINION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.