Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun Help >

Shotgun Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Help

Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Shotgun Help

I am a newbie to hunting so i just got my first shotgun. I ordered the mossberg 835 tactical turkey. The only reason i ordered this gun was because of the stock. I broke my wrist years back and i am kinda limited to range of motion in my wirst but this gun was really comfortable to hold. Anyhow with that being said, the gun came with a 20" barrel. What barrel should i get for duck hunting? Also i would like to deer hunt. Any suggestions for a barrel for that would be great also. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Help

For deer hunting, get yourself the rifled/cantilever barrel they make for this shotgun and use slugs of course. Make sure you use 3" if not 3.5" shells when using slugs in any shotgun chambered for the 3.5" shells
Old 07-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the duck hunting just get you one of their 26"-28" barrels with interchangeable chokes. For slugs look at the rifle/cantilever barrel as mentioned above, but I would recommend shooting the 2-3/4" shells. They are generally more accurate than the 3".
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

For the duck hunting just get you one of their 26"-28" barrels with interchangeable chokes. For slugs look at the rifle/cantilever barrel as mentioned above, but I would recommend shooting the 2-3/4" shells. They are generally more accurate than the 3".
You should never use 2-3/4" shells when using slugs in a shotgun that is chambered for shells up to 3.5". Here is the information I got from the LIGHTFIELD SLUG WEB PAGE:

Q:
Why can't I shoot 2-3/4" slugs through my 3-1/2" chambered slug gun?

A:
Firing a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is not recommended because of the length of the jump the slug makes between the end of a 2-3/4" case and the front end of a 3-1/2" chamber. This can cause misalignment of the sabot on the slug, thus causing a serious pressure problem as well as poor accuracy. Slugs are NOT LIKE SHOT SHELLS where a shorter shell can be safely fired in a longer chamber with no ill effects. The bottom line is you should use a shell with a minimum case length of 3" (ideally 3-1/2") in any 3-1/2" chambered rifled barrel for best accuracy. THE CASE LENGTH SHOULD MATCH THE CHAMBER LENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO SLUGS.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Most likely if you get a slug barrel for it it will be chambered for 3 inch shells, not 3.5's since hardly anyone makes a 3.5 inch slug load. So you should be ok in that department.

Paul
Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Most likely if you get a slug barrel for it it will be chambered for 3 inch shells, not 3.5's since hardly anyone makes a 3.5 inch slug load. So you should be ok in that department.

Paul
Actually all Mossberg 835 slug barrels have a 3.5in chamber and Hastings make 3.5in rifled slugs. I have an 835 and its a good gun.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

You should never use 2-3/4" shells when using slugs in a shotgun that is chambered for shells up to 3.5". Here is the information I got from the LIGHTFIELD SLUG WEB PAGE:

Q:
Why can't I shoot 2-3/4" slugs through my 3-1/2" chambered slug gun?

A:
Firing a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is not recommended because of the length of the jump the slug makes between the end of a 2-3/4" case and the front end of a 3-1/2" chamber. This can cause misalignment of the sabot on the slug, thus causing a serious pressure problem as well as poor accuracy. Slugs are NOT LIKE SHOT SHELLS where a shorter shell can be safely fired in a longer chamber with no ill effects. The bottom line is you should use a shell with a minimum case length of 3" (ideally 3-1/2") in any 3-1/2" chambered rifled barrel for best accuracy. THE CASE LENGTH SHOULD MATCH THE CHAMBER LENGTH WHEN IT COMES TO SLUGS.
You say you should "never", and Lightfield says "not recommended"... There's a BIG difference there... Shooting a 2-3/4" slug in a 3-1/2" chamber is like fireing a 38 spl. in a 357 mag. chamber... Thelead has to jump a bit, across the extra chamber and this may mean poor accuracy or not?

Like just about everything else to do with guns, you have to try them inthe gun to know for sure...

DM

I'm going to edit in, that my above responce was not clear... Not all slugs are sabboted, or Lightfields, and my answer was pertaining to shooting "other" brands of 2-3/4" slugs in 3-1/2" chambers...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 AM

I am also a newbie to hunting and I found the mossberg 930 to be the best fit for me and it came in the field and deer combo A 28 inch smooth bore and a 24 inch rifled isp barrel (same ascantilever)I like the fit, price,and the fact this is a hunting gun not a looking at gunI wish you good luck And first and foremost be safe and have fun
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 AM

OK i have been reading about people deer hunting with a 20" Barrel smoothbore barrel which it what comes on my turkey shotgun ( I think) and they are using Federal Vital-Shok® TruBall shells. They said they work great for deer hunting. Does this sound right?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
DM

You will never know FOR SHURE untill you try them in YOUR gun!

DM

Quick Reply: Shotgun Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.