HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Taurus Raging Bull ?' s (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/25361-taurus-raging-bull-s.html)

VAhuntr 03-05-2003 06:56 AM

Taurus Raging Bull ?' s

What are your thoughts, experiences and opinions of this handgun in .44 mag? What would be a fair price for one used, blue finish, 8" barrel, shot less than 10 times? Any help will be appreciated!!

Ruger-Redhawk 03-05-2003 03:29 PM

RE: Taurus Raging Bull ?' s

I don' t own a Taurus and probably never will.A friend has a couple of the RB' s in 454 Casull and I think he has a couple of 44 mags.He swears by them.They are a nice looking gun.I have a friend who works at a gun Shop. A couple years ago he told me that he been seeing qiute a few with frame problems.Hopefully by now they' ve gotten the cause resolved.Not sure what the used RB you mentioned would be worth. Taurus does have a lifetime warranty.Even it' s not perfect you could sent it to Taurus and have it gone through.Unless you can get it at a very reasonable price I would check the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawks out. IMHO they are a much better gun and will withstand the constant pounding of the 44 mag or 454 Casull.The 454 Casull you can also shoot 45 Colt in them.
Ruger Redhawk

MR300WM 03-06-2003 06:41 AM

I have the Raging Bull in 454 Casull and I like the gun a lot. I believe the recoil is not as harsh as the recoil from my Ruger SuperRedhawk 44mag. The SRH has a sharper recoil than the Raging Bull. Of coarse the porting has a lot to do with this. But when it comes to making a good strong handgun I don' t think you can get any better that the SuperRedHawk. I have put some mighty strong loads thru my SRH and it is still as tight as ever. They didn' t have the 454 SRH when I bought my Raging Bull.

JagMagMan 03-06-2003 07:25 AM

I looked at the Taurus, then I got the Super Redhawk! No regrets!

SMITTY03 03-06-2003 08:21 AM

I have the Ruger Super Redhawk in the .454. I don' t have any regrets. There was controversy when it came out because the Raging Bull only held 5 rounds and was said to be better because there was more " meat" on the cylinder. The Ruger holds 6 rounds and they were skeptical about it because they said that adding the extra round would add another hole in the cylinder and make it weaker because there would be less metal. Horse Crap!!!!!! The ruger has stood up for me. As far as your purchase goes, a gun that has only been shot 10 times will probably run you the same as a new one. 10 shots has not even hardly dirtied the gun, so they won' t knock much off of the price. I believe that the Raging Bull goes for about $ 650.00--give or take a few dollars. I would go with the Super Redhawk if I were you.

VAhuntr 03-06-2003 12:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I work with the guy who is selling the gun and he told me what he paid for it when he bought it last year.....I can get this gun for between 350 and 400 bucks. I called my local FFL dealer today and he can get me the same identical gun new for 459.00 out the door. He could also get me the Super Redhawk 9.5" barrel in 44 mag for 539.00 out the door. He would have to order either gun so this is a cash up front deal.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-06-2003 03:26 PM

VAhuntr,Spend the extra money and get the Redhawk or SRH.You won' t regret it.If you can get that Taurus RB for 350.00 that would be a good buy.I would still spend the extra dollars and go first class.Another thing if you go with the Ruger ,handle both the SRH' s with the 7 1/2" and 9 1/2" models. I have a 9 1/2" SRH IN 454 Casull. It' s a little heavy. I kinda wish I would have stayed with the 7 1/2" instead.If you go with a Redhawk decide if you want one set up for using a scope or not.
Ruger Redhawk

VAhuntr 03-06-2003 08:25 PM

I know in the long run I would be happier with either the Redhawk or the Super Redhawk. I have always loved my Ruger rifles and everyone I personally know that hunts with a handgun uses a Ruger revolver of some type. I just found a good buy on that Raging Bull and had read some good reports about them in magazines and thought I could save some money. Now that I have researched them a little bit I am a little skeptical about them.

Thanks for the advice Ruger Redhawk! Do you think the 9.5" barrel would have a great balistic advantage over the 7.5" barrel? I would definately want to scope it.....I have always been a Leupold man myself....any other good scopes that anyone would recommend?

SMITTY03 03-07-2003 11:44 AM

I have the 9 1/2" barrel on my SR. If you were to get one, I would not go with the .44 mag. I would go with the .454 because you can also shoot .45 longs. As far as a scope, make sure that it is a good brand. My friend also has a .454 and he tried to put a little $70.00 red dot scope on it. While sighting it in (after 4 shots), the guts of the scope were ruined by the recoil. These were factory loads. I prefer the 9 1/2 inch barrel because you do gain accuracy and speed and it is a heavier barrel that handles the recoil much better.

Ruger-Redhawk 03-07-2003 04:19 PM

VAhuntr. Yes with the longer barrel you would get more velocity.Not sure how much and probably not enough to really make a difference.The 9 1/2" bbl does give you a better sight radius. Using a scope that won' t make a difference.On my 454 Casull I have an OLD Redfield and has held up well so far.I agree with Smitty03 go with the Casull over the 44 Mag.The SRH makes shooting the 45 Colt a pleasure.The Casull shot in the SRH isn' t much more recoil then the 44 Mag.The reason I mentioned feel both guns with the different barrel lenghts.If you plan on carrying it all day the longer barrel does get heavy.This last season I carried my Redhawk 44 mag instead of the Casull.Bianchi makes a shoulder holster for a scoped 9 1/2" SRH.I believe it was around 59.00 from Natchez Shooters supply.I liked it so much I bought one for the 7 1/2" RH.Usually though I use a Uncle Mikes side holster for the 7 1/2" without a scope. Do a little more research and I' m sure you' ll see the Ruger Redhawk and SRH are the way to go.A final thought. If you decide to go with the Redhawk make sure you get the one set up for a scope.If you buy the one without the cutouts for the rings ,you' ll have to us a after market scope mount.All SRH' s come with scope rings.It' s hard to beat Ruger' s scope rings.Just have to install them carefully as not to damage the mounting rail.
Ruger Redhawk