Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A better bullet for performance and group >

A better bullet for performance and group

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A better bullet for performance and group

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A better bullet for performance and group

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

in the end i should be fairly familiar with my rifle and what it likes.

That is what will give you confidence the next time you take your rifle out hunting. Bullets can never make up for a hunter knowing his/her rifle.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think what i am going to do is buy a box of hornaday SP 130s and 150s and see how the gun likes those....if it doesnt improve try another factory load...and so on...might cost me $120 to get 4 or 5 boxes of ammo, but in the end i should be fairly familiar with my rifle and what it likes.

I have grouped and killed deer with about 10 different factory loadings, you will see a big difference in not only groups but how they preform on deer as well as drop out to 300 yards...It's funny to me how guys will spend so much on a rifle and scope and then balk at spending money on different bullets to try...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I think what i am going to do is buy a box of hornaday SP 130s and 150s and see how the gun likes those....if it doesnt improve try another factory load...and so on...might cost me $120 to get 4 or 5 boxes of ammo, but in the end i should be fairly familiar with my rifle and what it likes.

I have grouped and killed deer with about 10 different factory loadings, you will see a big difference in not only groups but how they preform on deer as well as drop out to 300 yards...It's funny to me how guys will spend so much on a rifle and scope and then balk at spending money on different bullets to try...
Believe me ifI could rifle hunt moreI wouldnt even hesitate in getting into reloading. To get to a place where I can pull out the long gun is literally an hour drive. IfI hunt locally its bow and slugs only.

Im just looking to find a bullet that my rifle fires better and hits with a little more pop.

I use my rifle in northern PA and WV primarily. It a real no frills rifle, just use it to put meat on the table, but im almostgetting better groups out of my slug gun at 100 yrds than my rifle...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about factory loads, I don't reload either...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the close shots of Northern WV I always used plain ol blue box Fed 130's in my 270. They done a heckuva job for me.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 AM

As jeepkid asked, have you checked everything on your rifle first? I have a Winchester model 70 Super Shadow in .270 WSM. I couldn't get it to shoot better than 2-1/4" at 100 yards with any ammo I tried. I bought a Boyd's Laminated stock, pillar and glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel and now it's a sub MOA rifle. The stock was actually pushing on the right side of the barrel. Check all of that first or you will just be chasing your tail with ammo. Then follow all of the advice you've gotten about ammo.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Good advice! Make sure that everything is tourqued to specs (bases, rings, guard screws).

I have found that 130g bullets favor the .270, mine loves the federal vital-shock 130g btsp...but groups other 130's good enough.

Things started to open up when I tried 140 and 150g.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 AM

IMO the Hornady ammo is very good stuff and the bullets areaccurate, mushroom nicelyand hold together well. It is my second favorite bullet and first choice for factory ammo.

That said, I am a Nosler Ballistic Tip man all the way. I have taken lots of different critters with lots of calibers in lots of situations with them and never a bullet failure when appropriate for animal calibers are used.

Lastly....at $120 for some factory ammo to test, is reloading looking any better? You can create perfectly good ammo with inexpensive Lee reloading equipment.You only have to load 3 of each recipe to test. Do you have a friend or neighbor with a loading outfit you could use to work up a load for your gun? I have a friend that I allow to purchase his own components and use my equip. to "roll his own".