Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pillar Bedding >

Pillar Bedding

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pillar Bedding

Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pillar Bedding

I have a Ruger 77 MII in .30/06 with wood stock. I'm considering pillar bedding it to improve accuracy. I don't expect sub-MOA but would like it to shoot a bit tighter than it does. There's a lot of information and advice on the web for DIY types, including a piece by Carmichael. I'm no finish woodworker so would probably consider a gunsmith. Any idea what aluminum and glass bedding might cost? I found Hogue custom pillar bedded stocks on-line for south of $100.I like the classic looks of the wood stock and it fits me well. Anyone bedded their own rifle?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Default RE: Pillar Bedding

It's not hard if you've the time and patients....
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the Brownell's web site. They have a set of metal pillars that are adjustable, and they will do exactly what you want. That would be the cheapest way. You may find them cheaper somewhere else, but they are easy to find at Brownell's web site. Tom.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I'll check it out. BTW, I used to be on the faculty at WVU. Two of my kids are "Mountaineers". My office overlooked the old stadium. I left just as they were building the new one. Great state, great folks.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

shoot a bit tighter than it does. There's a lot of information and advice on the web for DIY types, including a piece by Carmichael. I'm no finish woodworker so would probably consider a gunsmith. Any idea what aluminum and glass bedding might cost?

150 and up would be the going rate...Brownells sells an angled pillar set for that 77
Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Overlooked the old stadium?? That would make you a psychology or business professor?? Maybe Math?? I spent 8-1/2 years there myself(as a student). You are telling your age!! I watched a lot of football games at that stadium when I was in school. That was a HOOT. Tom.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MassHntr

I have a Ruger 77 MII in .30/06 with wood stock. I'm considering pillar bedding it to improve accuracy. I don't expect sub-MOA but would like it to shoot a bit tighter than it does. There's a lot of information and advice on the web for DIY types, including a piece by Carmichael. I'm no finish woodworker so would probably consider a gunsmith. Any idea what aluminum and glass bedding might cost? I found Hogue custom pillar bedded stocks on-line for south of $100.I like the classic looks of the wood stock and it fits me well. Anyone bedded their own rifle?

I've bedded a few 77's. They were the older long tang versions with the safety on top. The angled lug system is a bit more trouble to work, but it's certainly quite do-able. I never put pillars in one. Just solid-bedded the action and several inches of the barrel and free-floated the rest of the barrel.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM

For once I agree with PAwildman....

I'm sure it will wear off soon though........
Old 07-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Head - psych. Oglebay was an ideal location for the downtown campus... Yep, I'm an oldie...there when they started the PRT.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well they still have not extended the PRT, and they are still talking about tearing it down. Then they say it still costs more to tear it down than what it costs to maintain it!! Can you believe that. Tom.

Quick Reply: Pillar Bedding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.