Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistol ID help... >

Pistol ID help...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistol ID help...

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pistol ID help...

I got these two 8 shot 22lr pistols in a gun deal and wondered a bit about them. They are two of the same HS Modell 10 and Germany on the cylinder and barrel. Both are Double action with the loading gate on the right side.They do say "Herbert Schmidt" under the grip panels. I did a quick search on the net and couldn't find much either. They are pretty well made pistols. I had the 3" version apart already and it cleaned up nicely. The 2" needs some more tender love. Does anyone know anything about them? I was thinking clean them up and drop one in the kitchen drawer and the other in the drawer next to the pot.

Thanks!!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistol ID help...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240005&highlight=Herbert+Schm idt

Found quite a few threads on diff forums talking about the brand but most were of the SAA copies. Generally they don't see to have had a real high quality build but given the requiremtns (proofing) in Germany they can't be all that bad. Seem to be valued on the low end in the $80-$100 range.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks!! I didn't expect them to be "high dollar" guns... they are "fishing" guns. I spent the evening cleaning them up and I shot them both today. Surprisingly, they shoot very well. They will do exactly what I need them to do.

My uncle has virtually the same gun as these in 22 short made by RG. His is the model RG10, also made in Germany. Almost a spitting image except for a few minor changes in grip frame.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are Saturday Night Specials.

Made of low melting point pot metal... I assume you know that since you refered to keep one next to the pot (although that depends on what pot you are talking about... the one in the kitchen or the one next to the paper and the magazine rack).

One of those guns that dealers ain't allowed to touch...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard fo the Sat night special law in Califonia. But not sure they have it here in Colorado. What makes a Sat night Special? Pot metal?They sell Jiminez (and the likes) pistols all the time at gun shows here. They can't keep them in stock. I was sittingwaiting on my FFL to come back at a gun show. Next to mewasa young girt that paid 100 bucks for a Jimenez 22 auto. Had NO clue what she was doing (or buying) only wanted to protect herself against a weird neighbor guy, that liked to knock on her door at 3 am.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what kind of guns they are...lucky their your guns!!!! You only beat beat by a minute or two!! I saw your response to my brass value post! Would you really kick me in the nuts? Brass is yours the next time we hook up.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have an HS single action 22lr. True, not worth much as far as $ value and definitely not a high end gun but mine is very accurate and a blast to shoot. It has a few quirks but nothing that is a safety issue. It's been around a while and is still kicking. Some of these cheaper guns you do have to be careful with. It seems like one will be fine and the next one is a POS that falls a part. I inherited a Titan .25 ACP and didn't know what it was. I found out it was in this same class and was leary of it. I took it out and ran a clip or two through it and it's pretty good little shooter. These can be good shooters but don't bet your life on them and check them out carefully.

Spud