HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Different Grain-Same Gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/250549-different-grain-same-gun.html)

Colorado Luckydog 06-25-2008 07:47 PM

Different Grain-Same Gun

I was just wondering how you guys deal with using the same gun for different species. After you get a gun dialed in with a certain round for yotes, and you want to switch to deer, how are you handling it?How do you practice? Are you continually changing your scope. I try to get one round my gun shoots really good, and stick to it. Once hunting season gets here, going to the range is difficult.

Thanks Bryan

nchawkeye 06-25-2008 08:52 PM

RE: Different Grain-Same Gun

Through the years I have tested about 10 different factory loadings on deer...After I settled on 4-5 that would "work", I went to the range, put up a target at 100 yards and shot each loading 3 times and marked where they hit...After doing this with all of them, I found out which ones shot to the same (or nearly the same) point...It ended up that 2 loadings shot to the same windage and one was only a half inch higher than the other...Those are thetwo I settled on...

salukipv1 06-25-2008 09:02 PM

I'm of the 1 gun 1 load philosophy.

Could use quick release mounts and 2 scopes.....for 2 seperate loads....

If you could find 2 bullets that fly alike but of different composition that could work too.

If I really had to I would switch loads and dial it in for a particular hunt, though I tend to just switch rifles.

Sounds like you may need to make a new purchase :D

RugerM77.270 06-25-2008 09:08 PM

Unless your goal is to keep the hides just use the same thing you use for deer on coyotes.

halcon 06-26-2008 02:28 AM

I tried two different loads for my 243 win and it kinda worked ,but not whatI would call great going froma 58 GRbulletto a85 GR bullet .Spent more time on the range checking it than I did hunting . Solved the problem by just buying another gun for varmint hunting

jtb1967 06-26-2008 07:25 AM

Although I have mutiple rifles to choose from, I often use my 308 for both deer and varmints. I don't bother adjusting the zero. I've found my 150 grain and 110 grain loads shoot pretty well the same horizontally. There difference in trajectory is enough that it can be compensated for easily.

cjwink 06-26-2008 12:27 PM

I would use the same bullet for either.

Rammer 06-26-2008 01:29 PM

I've found very little if any POI on all my loads for the same rifle. Most of 'em require no tweaking to the scope.

I know in my 243 I can shoot 60gr, 75gr, 95gr bullets all with the same zero and kill whatever I want out to 300 yards easily. If I know I'll be shooting farther than that, I will spend some time dialing in the bullets to the scope.

Hurricanespg 06-26-2008 04:20 PM

I use my .243 for deer and coyote and shoot a different bullet for each. OnceI have the scope sighted in for my deer load I take a fine tipped sharpie and mark on my scope where it is, then I do the same for coyotes. Once that is done I just switch to the marks and shoot a confirmation group and I am good to go.