Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New semi - auto Rifle .... >

New semi - auto Rifle ....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New semi - auto Rifle ....

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New semi - auto Rifle ....

Old Bars were made entirely in Belgium. The newer models are made in Belgium assembled in Portugal. I prefer the newer bars for the simple fact they have a nice bolt release and are easier to keep clean and maintain.You are not giving up much in accuracy to any bolt gun if any all. The Remington semi-autos are tomato stakes...I hear all the stories about how great they are but have yet to see one myself and I have owned 3 of them (1) 742 and (2) 7400's. The second 7400 was a replacement for the 1st 7400 which broke an extractor on its2nd box of corelockts out of the factory. I actually took the POS back to Walmart and they gave me a new one. That was in 1986 now most Walmarts don't carry guns.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 4 of the Beligum BAR's. A couple have never been shot.Two are the Stalkers matte finish and synthetic stock. My Stalkers are in 270 Winand 30-06.The two unfired are the fancy wood stocked models . One is 270 Win w/bossand the other is 300 Win Mag.My stalkers I stole from BassPro.They were on sale and I filled out a BP credit card application saving another 10%. I got them for 539.00 each.Other places had them close to 700.00 at that time.The ones I have shot have been very accurate.All with factory ammo.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 750 Woodsmaster... Shoots exceptible I guess... I'm still working with it with reloads... If I had it to do over... I would not of bought anything remington makes as far as rifles... I used to be a die hard Remington fan... Now I'm a Browning fan since I bought my Abolt 7mm Mag with BOSS.. Man all I can say is the BOSS is the S!@#!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

What kind of factory ammo ???
Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TRACKER

What kind of factory ammo ???
As we all know no two guns will shoot the alike.You have try different cartridges until you find what your rifle likes. I tried FederalPreimum and Remington Core Lokts. Both shot well in my BAR.In the 270 I use 150 grain. I can't remember what I shot in the 06 its been so long ago.Remington CoreLokts arecheap compared to others and I've had good luck with them.My little Ruger M-77 in 7mm08 Loves the FederalPremiumVital shoks Ballistic Tips. There again it's a give and take until you find what works best for you.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 PM

I own the bar in .270 and love it.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have hadno problems w/ my remingtons. my dad and i have killed piles upon piles of deer w/ these rifles and shoot them alot at the pit.we have 4 742's which are a far cry from the 7400 which i also own 2 of and even further from the new 750 which i have in 35 whelen. all shoot well. a hair over an inch. i bet in a hunting situation none of you can shoot that well anywyas. ive heard a lot of stories about the remy autos being "problems" but most of the time the ppl who have the problems are careless and dont take care of their equipment. if i were you ide look into the remington 750 in 35 whelen carbine. i love mine and it really rock and rolls them big whitetails
Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive heard a lot of stories about the remy autos being "problems" but most of the time the ppl who have the problems are careless and dont take care of their equipment. if i were you ide look into the remington 750 in 35 whelen carbine. i love mine and it really rock and rolls them big whitetails [align=right]
[/align]
Yeah I have been accused of that a lot . Do you have a specific maintenance schedule ?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

just a modest dose of rem oil or break free w/ a firm tooth brush and then the air compressorfor a quick cleaning after a day of intense rain or snow, anda once a year full break down. perhaps we are just fortunate we havnt had any troubles but almost everyone where i live has trouble......you guys can make up your own mind. i dont know if there is anything to it but most of these guys that tell me about there troubles are using 308's???
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

i'd love to shoot a BAR
have heard only good things about them
the only semi i own is an AR-15
you can get them in numerous caliburs now (50 cal., 25 wssm, 308, 338 federal, 300 RSAUM, 458)
pretty light too
very accurate
but you will get some bad looks probably at the hunting camp
american hunters are just starting to warm up to the black rifle