Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE >

S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Default S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE

I'm buying a pistol in the next few days and these are the two that I have really liked so far.. any good or bad reviews are welcome...I'm looking for something that is easy to maintain and easy to disassemble. thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE

I like the feel of the M&P myself. I am also thinking about getting one for a truck pistol. They seem to be fairly rugged, and I have shot two of them, and they shoot very well. I tried to buy one when they had the $50 rebate, but the only ones I could find at that time were $100 over priced. Every one who had a good price was out of stock, and then the rebate ended. I was kind of hoping S&W would bring out another rebate. I have zero experience with the XD-but I have read where a few guys like theirs. Springfield products are pretty good. Tom.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy has a Springfield 40 XD........most accurate SA pistol I have ever handled. I would buy one in a second. Well made, nice finish and like I said accurate.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM

XD! The S&W is a great weapon mind you but the XDs are just awesome. As reliable as any Glock I have ever seen, you don't need to worry about flipping off a safety(except the new optional safety models), however they have the backstrap safety unlike the Glocks which is a very nice touch for your protection. Very accurate, tons of models to choose from. I have service models in both .40 and .45 and I have never had a non-ammo related jam in three years.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Both are excelent handguns but I prefer the XD. I like the added safety features that the XD has that the M&P doesn't.

Loaded chamber indicator is visual as well as physical. A little bar pops up at the rear of the ejection port that you can feel in total darkness to know if your gun is loaded when the bad guy is in your house with out you having to turn on a light and look. The M&P requires you to look in a little hole to see brass, kind of hard to do in the dark.

Cocking indicator is again visual as well as physical. A little steel rod pops out of the back of the slide so that you can feel intotal darkness of the gun is cocked or not. In the day time you can simply see a shiny rod poking out the back. I forget if the M&P pops out the back or is flush.

Grip safety on the XDdoes two things. First it must be depressed in order for the trigger to work, much the same way the 1911 operates. Second is that it must be derpressed for the slide to be operated thus forcing you to have complete control of the firearm before it can be operated. The M&P doesn't have a grip safety.

The trigger works much the samein both the XD andM&P in that it blocks itself from being pressed unless your finger is doing the pressing.

It breaks down much easier and quicker than does the M&P. The M&P requires you to flip out a little bar inside the gun before you can disassemble the gun.

The trigger pull on the XD is muchsmoother and crisperthan the M&P IMO.

The M&P does have interchangeable back straps to fit a wide variety of hand sizes.

Having said all of that you can't really go wrong with either.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

As an ower of an XD-40 in .40 cal, I can not imagine any pistol being better...accurate, reliable, easy to clean, I have the ported target version and agree with the above posters, about as good as it can get out of a box..
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are talking me into a SpringField. I consider an auto-pistol accurate if it can hit the end of a brick at 50 yards. My Kimber's can do that easily. Can your Springfield's?? Tom.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom - My Springfield XD 40 Tactical can hit the end of a brick at 50 yards as long as I do my part. I had a buddy a few weeks back bet me I couldn't blow up some milk jugs at 80 yards with my Kimber 1911, after the first shot and water leaking he thought it was a fluke, so I did it with my Springfield, and my Browning Buckmark just to prove the point.

I've owned quite a few auto pistols over the years, and my XD 40 is the one I will not part with. I'm not nearly attached to any other gun I have. Mine has close to 4k thru it, and its had a few FTEs, this was when my brothers fiance was shooting it and she was limp wristing it. Once I taught her the proper grip, its never had that problem since.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the 2,I would choose the XD. Not only does it have better trigger and grip safety like a 1911,it's reliable,and reasonably priced.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a friend's XD9 for my CHL class that I had little experiance with (maybe shot 20 rounds with it previously). Shot a perfect score on my shooting portion of the test with it. When i purchase my pistol shortly, the XD line will be the only line i look at.

Quick Reply: S&W MP, XD ....ANY THOUGHTS YOU COULD SHARE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.