Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ryger M77MkII UL 30.06 >

Ryger M77MkII UL 30.06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ryger M77MkII UL 30.06

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ryger M77MkII UL 30.06

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

Sounds like you have decided on the Ruger. I am in no way bashing the Ruger but you may want to consider the Savage 116FS. It is the same weight with a 22 inch barrel and accutrigger and lower cost. Lightweight rifles with a 20" barrel automatically make me look at the 308 since the ballistics are nearly identical in 20" tubes and depending on the manufacturer the 308 action may be lighter.
Some great advice to consider....

Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM

If you get the Ruger than you are left with trying to accurize it. You may need to lighten the trigger and you will have to find the right load for it! Get a Tikka, already accurate, light weight, light trigger, and free floated. And did I mention Accurate and light weight? My M77 is a pretty gun and built like a tank but it needs some work to help the shooter out.

As for the Savage, I do not think that the quality is all that up to par with the other two. My cousin has a 110 and besides being super accurate, it is beginning to fall apart on him.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wish Tikka actually made a rifle I would buy....or consider buying....

Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me like the guy is set on a Ruger nothing wrong with that I like Rugers. Yes they sometimes take some work to make submoa sometimes they don't. The Tikkas are fine rifles actions smooth as glass super light and they don't fit me worth a lick but my Ruger is like a third arm. maybe that is why he wants a Ruger it just fits and he needs some reassurance. Get the Ruger if its what you want its build like as tough as arailroad tie and won't let you down if you do your part. The 30-06 is a great round you can't go wrong with.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Yes they sometimes take some work to make submoa sometimes they don't.
I can honestly say that I have never met a hunter or a shooter that is capabe of shooting a rifle at or below MOA in the high country. IMO too many people think thatif a rifle does not shoot under an inch group that the rifle has no value, and I actually believe that the mojority(not all) of the hunter's out there are not capable of shooting sub-MOA's off the bench.

In the high country accuracy s not king. Dependability, reliabilty, and "shootability" are king. Accuracy takes a back seat. Go with the rifle that handles the best for you after you have walked up a hillside, and then buy the highest quality you can afford. Tom.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Yes they sometimes take some work to make submoa sometimes they don't.
I can honestly say that I have never met a hunter or a shooter that is capabe of shooting a rifle at or below MOA in the high country. IMO too many people think that if a rifle does not shoot under an inch group that the rifle has no value, and I actually believe that the mojority(not all) of the hunter's out there are not capable of shooting sub-MOA's off the bench.

In the high country accuracy s not king. Dependability, reliabilty, and "shootability" are king. Accuracy takes a back seat. Go with the rifle that handles the best for you after you have walked up a hillside, and then buy the highest quality you can afford. Tom.

While I agree with most of what you said. If you have a rifle capable of half-moa accuracy and are taking a 300 yard shot your group would then be 1-1/2" theoretically. If you're starting with a 1-1/2 moa rifle and take that same 300 yard shot your group would be 4-1/2". Add in the likelyhood for human error in the high country and that shot could become a long tracking job. I would personally like to have a rifle that is capable of the tighter group so my mistake is more likely to hit in the kill zone. Just my $.02
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idunno you are absolutely correct in your post. The problem is that most people are just not capable of taking advantage of the accuracy of a rifle in any situation. As you point out there are exceptions to the rule. But I will take that theoretical 4-1/2 group at 300 yards in the high country. Tom.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate all of your input. I can only go off of my own experience with rifles. Rugers and Mauser'sjust seem to do it for me. I have never been a huge Savage fan (except for the 99) they are probably good rifles. I am not a big Remmy fan either, don't get me wrong I own several of those also. (Not too many brands I don't own in some way shape or form) All the others Tikka, Sako, Kimber are all fine rifles. Factory rifles or custom (which I have also) they can all out shoot me anyday of the week. I need a good solid featherweight gun that will will go bang when I touch it off and kill a deer or an elkat 200 yards. (my limitations on myself)
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can think of a few rifles I would rather use on elk then a 6lb Ruger or a Savage.