Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bear Hunting -  Stainless Barrels >

Bear Hunting - Stainless Barrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bear Hunting - Stainless Barrels

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Hunting - Stainless Barrels

Last year by buddy killed a black bear and his gun was stainless. So I know it can be done. However, I hear that bear can see pretty well and supposedly see things much like we see.

Do you think hunting with a stainless barrel will be an issue?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bear Hunting - Stainless Barrels

I doubt that the barrel will be an issue but if you are concerned, get some hockey tape and wrap the barrel. It does not leave behind any residue when pulled off.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bear have very poor vision , don't let it bother you.They spot movement much better and have great hearing.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had plenty of encounters with black bears and have come to the conclusion that their vision is no better and probably worse than that of a human. What they do possess are excellent hearing and scent detection powers. Most of the time if you are sitting motionless and downwind of a bear they can look right at you and give no sign of recognition or alarm. I had a large boar bear within 25 yds. of me this spring during turkey season. I was in camo and downwind. He stopped and scanned the area, looked right at me and gave no sign of anything wrong. He never even knew I was there. Sooooo, to get back to the point, I don't think a stainless barrel is going to be a concern, but if it would make you feel better, some camo tape of your choice would be an option.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM

I agree that I wouldn't be concerned about a stainless barrel. As long as you're still and he doesn't wind you, you should be fine.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to packing all my stuff into totes pretty soon here. My plan is to wash closes in scent free detergent and cut branches off the trees in my yard and put them in the totes.

Any body got any other ideas for clothing?

One of the issues I'm faced with is the place I'm going is out there. I'll be walking what I was told is about a half mile to my stand everyday. I'm concerned with sweating and scent. My buddy who went to this place last year was stripping down to the bare just to get to his stand so his clothes wouldn't stink. Any advice on that one?

Tom
Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the wind is right just be extremely still and quiet...only allow your eyeballs to move ...don't worry about the peripheral crap ...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone have any good web references on black bear? Maybe some background on them, sizing, vital diagrams and the such etc....

Counting down about 9 weeks sucks!

Anybody want to trade Bear dvd's for Turkey dvds?

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

most stainless I see are dulled by some sort of blasting procedure.....which is nice, even nicer are matte blackened stainless barrels....

I feel if you're over bait....he'll be close enough to see it, but you're in a stand, will he look up? also you'll see him coming? if spot n stalk I think you'll be far away that it won't matter.

Go blackened stainless and you've got it all!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just look at some pictures of bears...your looking for a broad head and short ears is one way

Quick Reply: Bear Hunting - Stainless Barrels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.