Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 3inch magnum sluggers >

Remington 3inch magnum sluggers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 3inch magnum sluggers

Old 02-28-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Remington 3inch magnum sluggers

Hey guys i remember buying a box of 3inch rem slugger rifled magnums. hey shot great out of my gun back when the iron sight was on. I just came across a clearance they were selling whole cartons of the 5 pack boxes 25 ;5packs! My gun obviously likes them..it will when i put the scope on it i know..but i was curious if there was any real advantage of the 3inch magnum 1oz sluggers compared to the 2 3/4inch 12ga sluggers? Range? Knockdown? The big diff that i noticed besides my gun liking em more is the recoil knocked the snot out of me, but thats nota problem i put a decelerator on it and now thye shoot fine thanks all
-Jon
Old 02-28-2003, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Remington 3inch magnum sluggers

i would go with whatever my gun shoots best
Old 02-28-2003, 09:52 PM

bu[&:]mp
Old 03-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

BEFORE you lay down your cash I would take a close look at the primers on those sluggers. There have been quite a few around with the primers set too deeply. Thus the firing pin doesn' t fully whack the primer and no " BOOM" .

Other than that, I have no complaints abouit sluggers. They seem to always fly good.

Check them primers, it would sure be a sad day if a real nice trophy comes by and you can only make a click sound and not a " BOOM" !

Uncle Matt (in Illinois)
Old 03-02-2003, 07:09 PM

Bump
Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Iv' e been told that the only real difference is the kick like you observed.The 2 3/4" have done the job for decades. I have run into spent hulls in the woods where I hunt from 3 1\2 shells and my only deduction is that they own a goose gun and use it for deer,as you can only see 100yds in this stuff. If you want to check on the trajectoy and compare shells at different ranges I' m sure you.ll you' ll want to use 2 3/4' s. Just go to the manf. sites.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

125 deer slugs is a lot. I think 2 3/4 is plenty.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let' s get a little more technical here DEERHNTR. What are you shooting? I sense your shooting a pump if those 3" ers are thumpin ya really good. Also are you shooting a smooth bore or rifled barrel? And what length is the barrel? What is your scope mount & scope? There certainly are nice advantages to shooting the longer (and heavier) slugs as they will carry more energy to each hit, no matter what the distance, 15 yards or 150, more energy.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:33 PM

well matt im shooting a mossberg 500pump with a 25inch " slugster" barrel (smoothebore) an i have a leupold VX shotgun scope with leupold rings, i opted to buy the sweetest scope i could find bad experiance opening day missed a small 6 pt and i was bummed then an 8pt with baseball bat tines and long sweepy beams and i missed[:' (][:@][X(] then figured the iron sight was off, which it was!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I think you' re putting way too much scope on it for a smoothbore slug barrel!

That type of quality scope really only deserves to be set up on a rifled barrel with a cantilever mounting rail. Mounting it on a rail on top of the receiver (not the actual barrel) always leaves room for " slop" . You are really limited to consistent groups out to 75-85 yards (or maybe more if you' re a really good shooter and somewhat lucky) by the smoothbore barrel.

If you didn' t mind spending the cash on the Leopold set-up, then a nice cantilever barrel shouldn' t phase your wallet either. If you' re looking for " tack driving" there is no real way around that.

When you do mount the scope up-make sure you use the appropriate thread locking agent. There isn' t a heck of alot of thread engagement when mounting the rail so they like to work loose without locker. 3" ers will only work it harder.

I also have a Mossy 500 in 12 gauge. Bought it at Sears (when they were still selling firearms) as a combo with the rifled sight slugger barrel and a choked barrel for $299.99, so you can imagine how long ago that was. Haven' t used it for deer in many years, though it took it' s share of Illinois whitetails. Stopped using it when I bought my first H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 12 gauge, which is my " long range" slug gun for sitting on field edges and such. (I hope there are H&R Ultra' s in heaven when (if) I get there!)

I use an old J.C. Higgins 12 gauge pump (beautiful, solid, smooth and deadly) with the barrel shortened to 18 or 19" with brazed on rifled sights for my " brushy" (short range) gun. Although I can still hit nice groups out to 60-70 yards with it, no problem.

I inherited the Higgins from my Dad and he only shot the original Brenneke Rottweil Magnums in it and I won' t let him down. He used the nice ones with the felt buffer pad attached to the rear of the slug with a stainless steel flat head slotted screw. The old Higgins is 2 3/4" only.

I like the Brenneke ammo ALOT! I use it in my H&R also with great results. Brenneke says that all of their slugs (sabot or foster) can safely be used in rifled barrels. I haven' t had any problems (but quite a few deer have!). The 3" gold magnums are awesome and very heavy at 1 3/16 or 1/4 oz.. I wouldn' t settle on anything for sure till you' ve tried some of the fine Brenneke ammo, it' s not cheap or expensive. Brenneke says in it' s advertising that nothing delivers more energy, especially compared to sabots. (Maybe you' ve seen their add in some magazines?)

I' ve seen plenty of deer shot with Sluggers in 2 3/4" and 3" , 12 and 20 gauge and there is no doubt that they carry enough energy, too. Heck I would bet that no other deer slug has put as many deer down than Sluggers. They' ve been around a LONG time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Uncle Matt (in Illinois)

Quick Reply: Remington 3inch magnum sluggers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.