HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is a 22'' Vent Rib O.K. for Waterfowling? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/249020-22-vent-rib-o-k-waterfowling.html)

chrowski 06-11-2008 08:38 AM

Is a 22'' Vent Rib O.K. for Waterfowling?

Hey all,
I'm looking into buying my first gun, so if my terms suggest I'm a novice, that'd be correct. I'm looking at buying a lower priced 12ga. that has interchangable barrels so I can go for birds or deer without buying an entire new gun. My prospective choice of gun is the Mossberg "535 ATS™ All-Terrain Shotgun" It comes with a 24'' rifled for deer, no problem there, as well as a 22'' vent rib barrel.

That's where my question comes in. It states the 22'' vent rib barrel is forturkey, but I'm not really interested inTurkey hunting. I'mmore interested in waterfowling.Has/Does anyone use a 22'' vent rib for waterfowl? Why or why not would this be appropriate? What would my preformance issues be compared to a waterfowling gun barrel?

Thanks in advance!!

oldelkhunter 06-11-2008 08:48 AM

RE: Is a 22'' Vent Rib O.K. for Waterfowling?

Longer barrel definitely helps your swing..Your not using the barrel rib as a sight plane .For waterfowl I would be much more comfortable with a 28" barrel

eldeguello 06-11-2008 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: chrowski

Hey all,
I'm looking into buying my first gun, so if my terms suggest I'm a novice, that'd be correct. I'm looking at buying a lower priced 12ga. that has interchangable barrels so I can go for birds or deer without buying an entire new gun. My prospective choice of gun is the Mossberg "535 ATS™ All-Terrain Shotgun" It comes with a 24'' rifled for deer, no problem there, as well as a 22'' vent rib barrel.

That's where my question comes in. It states the 22'' vent rib barrel is forturkey, but I'm not really interested inTurkey hunting. I'mmore interested in waterfowling.Has/Does anyone use a 22'' vent rib for waterfowl? Why or why not would this be appropriate? What would my preformance issues be compared to a waterfowling gun barrel?

Thanks in advance!!
IF the barrel has a decent choke that will pattern # 6's and #4's well, it would work. However, such short barrels lack the heft and balance that many watefowlers think is necessary for good swing & follow-thru when pass shooting. If that doesn't bother you much, then the choke is the deciding factor. 22" will sure be a good upland bird barrel, and will also be quite acceptable for jump shooting ducks on pothole terrain.

Rammer 06-11-2008 09:35 AM

I have a 21" on an 870 that I used a little bit last fall. It was too short for my likings. I normally use a 24" barrel. I definately prefer the 24" to anything else.

Colorado Luckydog 06-11-2008 10:01 AM

If you're hunting out of a pit, you would sure have to be carefulnot to ringanyone's ears with a 22 inch barrel. If you're shooting at decoyed birds, it will be plenty to bring them down but not the best choice. I love a 24 inch barrel for my waterfowl hunting, I like the quick response, but I only shoot decoyed birds. MOST, waterfowlers prefer a 26 to 28 inch barrel. Good Luck.

thndrchiken 06-11-2008 10:22 AM

I personally prefer a 26-28" barrel for pheasant and ducks, don't get to hunt them as often as I would like though.

skybuster20ga 06-11-2008 03:02 PM

i use a 870 w/ a 21" and it shoots like a dream. geese teal woodies mallards doesnt matter. choke is way more important. i also like my 23" uplpand special and all my rifles Are carbines. anythign long barrelled feels gomey to me

cascadedad 06-11-2008 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: chrowski

Has/Does anyone use a 22'' vent rib for waterfowl? Why or why not would this be appropriate?
If you hunt with others in a blind....................they will hate you!!!!!

outdoorsmen 06-11-2008 10:22 PM

way to loud! you'll shoot better with at least a 26"

SwampCollie 06-12-2008 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

If you're hunting out of a pit, you would sure have to be carefulnot to ringanyone's ears with a 22 inch barrel. If you're shooting at decoyed birds, it will be plenty to bring them down but not the best choice. I love a 24 inch barrel for my waterfowl hunting, I like the quick response, but I only shoot decoyed birds. MOST, waterfowlers prefer a 26 to 28 inch barrel. Good Luck.
Ah you can always tell a response from a generous hunter when you read one. Someone who has been kind enough to take many other folks afield from all walks of life and with all kinds of different guns.

Like Lucky, the first thing I thought about was standing next to someone with a super short barrel in the blind and having the devil rung out of my already too blasted ears. It is certainly not that a 22" won't work.... but if you were hunting with me I'd make you sit outside the blind with the dog in interest of preserving what hearing I have left.

The other issue that arises is one of safety. Most blinds are configured with fairly high shooting rails, almost like a bar... its about navel high.... that short barrel may not reach up that high... conversely it is also easier to sweep someones head with it unknowingly. In a layout blind, depending on the model, its also easier to have a bit longer barrel to keep the gun started outside the thing. Take these as you will as they are just hypotheticals.

I know one gent who uses a 24" for waterfowling, I personally prefer a 26", and lots of folks still have it in their minds that they need a 28" or 30" for it. If you are used to shooting a longer barrel, and used to that sort of sight picture... than by all means, use what works. The longer the barrel, in my mind, the safer it is, and the less perceived noise everyone else gets... so more power to them. Its really up to you.