HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/248960-would-weatherby-weatherby-detachable-magazine.html)

ox1443 06-10-2008 04:30 PM

Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

i was at my gun shop today and some guy had a 300 WSM SUB MOA Blued and he was asking the guy who was working there if he could turn his weatherby to a a dtachable magazine insted of Hinged Floor Plate and i said to the guy Would a Weatherby Be A Weatherby With Detachable Mag?? He said I Dont have a clue, It's My 8 year old sons new gun..... So For Everyone Out thereWould A WeatherbyBe AWeatherby With a Detachable Mag??

bigbulls 06-10-2008 08:58 PM

RE: Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

Well, sincethe only "sub MOA"line of riflesthat Weatherbysells is the Weatherby vanguard it isn't a Weatherby to begin with.

It's a Howa 1500with the Weatherby name stamped on it. A much better built rifle IMO.

And this guy bought an 8 year old a 300 magnum?What a genius,get him good and scared of recoil right off the bat. Unless this is one huge 8 year old, or the extremely rare exception to the rule,the rifle is going to be waaaaaay to long for him, be too heavy, generate excessive recoil, and excessive muzzle blast.

Pawildman 06-10-2008 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Well, sincethe only "sub MOA"line of riflesthat Weatherbysells is the Weatherby vanguard it isn't a Weatherby to begin with.

It's a Howa 1500with the Weatherby name stamped on it. A much better built rifle IMO.

And this guy bought an 8 year old a 300 magnum?What a genius,get him good and scared of recoil right off the bat. Unless this is one huge 8 year old, or the extremely rare exception to the rule,the rifle is going to be waaaaaay to long for him, be too heavy, generate excessive recoil, and excessive muzzle blast.
Ditto.....

homers brother 06-11-2008 05:34 AM

Well, considering that many adults are so "sold" on the necessity of burning lots of powder, it's no wonder the marketing craze would eventually reach the youth market. When's Remington going to chamber that little Model 7 Youth rifle in something like .300 WSM? My daughter's barely able to carry her teddy bear and blanket at the same time, but I'd really like to get her up and shooting something soonthat'll"KNOCK DOWN"a grizzly bear at 800 yards.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON (or daughter)

Now that I'm done rolling my eyes, and all sarcasm aside, I think we're getting close now to the point where many of us have a lot more money than we have common sense. Considering that our predecessors did quite well hunting everything on this continent with boring calibers like .30-40, .30-06, .270, etc., is there REALLY a need for all of these magnums?Yeah, I kind of have an axe to grind here. I see more and moreguys on the range lately who spent crazy coin to get the latest whiz-bang magnum and optics,yet complain about the accuracy of their new beast when it's clear from watching them (all the shooting basics) that they're TERRIFIED of their new rig. Rapid breathing, jerked triggers, evencaught one guy I was trying to coach close his eyes anticipating the punch he was about to receive. So, aside from the obvious benefits, there IS some peripheral "entertainment value" in my range time these days! :D

And as much as I hate the thought of this marketing craze hittingourhunting future, it's probably inevitable that theboneheads among us will go out and equip theirpre-teens with the same hyped-up stuff the adultshave. Maybe my daughter's just fortunate that she'll cut her teeth on a .22, .223, and .243 - IN ORDER and WHEN SHE'S READY?

Back on topic though - If someone has reason enough to modify their Weatherby for a detachable magazine, that's their choice. It's THEIR rifle, even if it IS a Weatherby (like, I'm going to swoon atthe sight ofone of Roy's babies?) If it were somethingwith some known collector's value I'd probably make sure he at least knew that first, but I've given up wondering why people do some of the things they do, and it'sreally none of my business in the first place if it doesn't affect my safety.

oldelkhunter 06-11-2008 07:15 AM

What would the addition of a magazine dictate whether a rifle was a Weatherby or not? I am sure if they came out with a good system then they would happily sell it instead of the POS that they now use as bottom metal .Better manufacturers use magazines maybe Weatherby can keep in step.

driftrider 06-11-2008 10:35 AM

I would say that if it's made by Weatherby, or for Weatherby, then it's a Weatherby. A Remington M700 action that has been fully accurized and customized is still a Remington. If the guy has a custom detachable magazine fitted it's still a Weatherby.

Mike

ipscshooter 06-11-2008 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: ox1443

... 300 WSM SUB .... He said I Dont have a clue, It's My 8 year old sons new gun...
I think you've got proof right there that the guy should not have passed the "sanity" test for owning a firearm... All these new magnums are a bit silly for adults in about 99.98% of hunting situations. To buy one for an 8 year old is absolutely, positively moronic...

driftrider 06-11-2008 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: ox1443

... 300 WSM SUB .... He said I Dont have a clue, It's My 8 year old sons new gun...
I think you've got proof right there that the guy should not have passed the "sanity" test for owning a firearm... All these new magnums are a bit silly for adults in about 99.98% of hunting situations. To buy one for an 8 year old is absolutely, positively moronic...
Yep! Giving an 8 year old a magnum rifle is a GREAT way to ensure that the child quickly becomes an excellent rifleman and will look forward to a lifetime of shooting enjoyment! [&o][:@] And he'll probably not understand why, after the first time out, the kid doesn't really want to go shoot his new rifle anymore. Bill Engvall is right, if that guy would have had his "I'm Stupid" sign, this situation would have been avoided altogether.

Mike

salukipv1 06-11-2008 01:38 PM

I think this guy may have been making a joke or saying something to the affect that it's my new gun and will eventually be my 8yolds gun.....because really no 8yo can shoot a .300 magnum remotely well I would argue.

Not really sure why weatherby's even have a floorplate....? It's easier to just unload them from the top IMO than to open that floorplate with the spring etc...coming out, by the time you get that all back in place you could have emptied the gun already from the top.

A detachable mag isn't really a deal breaker to me.

Pawildman 06-11-2008 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I think this guy may have been making a joke or saying something to the affect that it's my new gun and will eventually be my 8yolds gun.....because really no 8yo can shoot a .300 magnum remotely well I would argue.

Not really sure why weatherby's even have a floorplate....? It's easier to just unload them from the top IMO than to open that floorplate with the spring etc...coming out, by the time you get that all back in place you could have emptied the gun already from the top.

A detachable mag isn't really a deal breaker to me.

salukipv1.... Always interesetng to read your replies......