Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine?? >

Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would A Weatherby be A Weatherby With A Detachable Magazine??

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM

I don't believe Weatherby has their own factory so they have all of their guns made to their specification by other manufacturers thus if Weatherby puts their name on it, it's a Weatherby. If you modify it, it's a modified Weatherby.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only Weatherby I own has a detachable magazine... its a new Mark XXII.....

and while it says weatherby.... its really just an Anschutz....

so my answer would be no.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Spike

Well, I'd like to look at it this way :

You have a Ford then you replace the engine with an engine from Volkswagen, what do you have now ? Still a Ford ? If so then two years later you replace the chassis on your Ford with a Volkswagen chassis, as per above you still have a Ford. I DON'T THINK SO !

Anyway, I use my Weatherby professionally in Africa, it's a Mark V made for Weatherby in Germany by Sauer and I would never modify the rifle if it could severely affect feeding (changing from fixed mag. to detachable could) mainly because I have found that when I need that follow-up shot I need it RIGHT NOW ! for two reasons, 1. I'd like to make it home to my wife for dinner and 2. That Cape buffalo who's running at me is probably pretty pis... and after my hide.

Not that I'm afraid of Capes but my wife is quite another matter and further more an encounter with either my angry wife or a raging Cape Buffalo would absolutely be bad for business

Last edited by The Dane; 08-23-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

No 8 year old should be shooting a .300 WSM, so I also think it was a misunderstanding; to say that the rifle is 8 years old.

All my bolt guns have a detachable box magazine , or I don't buy it.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
All my bolt guns have a detachable box magazine , or I don't buy it.
Kinda surprises me about you actually, I wouldn't have thought you'd be DM or nothing...

Personally, unless it's a P-dog rig, I don't plan on taking more than 5shots, so what do I care if it's a DM or not? Yes, when I'm doing a lot of coyote calling, it's nice to be able to drop the mag, pop out ONE SHELL, and move to the next spot. Luckily here in KS, it's legal to drive with a loaded rifle WHILE HUNTING, so if I'm using a bolt gun, I just don't unload it.

I'd personally rather hunt deer with a single shot than a DM bolt gun.

If I'm reading this right, you're acting as if having a DM is against the "philosophy" of Weatherby, as in that putting a DM in a rifle that's so firmly ANTI-DM that it's an insult? I guess I don't see the joke? I guess if Weatherby is so anti-DM in philosophy, I wasn't aware of it?

You could say that about ANY of the big bolt makers, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Savage... They've all traditionally been blind mags. There's always been a few models that deviate, and as the market demands are changing, the makers are moving to keep up (Savage 12BVSS replaced by Savage VLP DM, Ruger Gunsite rifle, All of these quik-mag refits for Remingtons)...

Frankly, if I put a new seats in my F-350, it's still a FORD TRUCK. Putting in a DM doesn't change the ACTION of the rifle. However, if you change the ACTION of the rifle, i.e. replacing a Rem 700 with a Stiller Predator (drop in replacement action for Rem 700), then no, I wouldn't call it a Remington anymore (since the ACTION is now a Stiller).

Bottom line, adding a DM doesn't change what's stamped into the receiver... It says Weatherby on the side today, it'll say weatherby on the side tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Honestly alot of old school, died in the wool Weatherby lovers STILL consider anything BUT a Mark V as being "un-Weatherby" or a non-Weatherby. And I'll go you one even further than that, many old timers I've known consider Weatherby to have died with Mr. Roy himself.

As for a DBM vs hinged floorplate or even a blind magazine, I don't think that makes or doesn't make a rifle of a certain maker. I personally prefer NOT having DBMs as DBMs imho are just one more thing to have to keep up with or worry about. But the Lord knows the market has essentially demanded them over the last 10-15 years so more offer them than not, at least in the domestic market.

I have a 1983 300 Mark V DLX that is BEAUTIFUL. I "had" a 25/06 Vanguard vlx back in the early 90s that I considered just as much a Weatherby as the MarkV. (Someone borrowed it without asking and has yet to return it! )
HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 08-27-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just a personal preference thing.

1st must weigh under 7lbs or very close (stripped)
2nd must be synthetic
3rd must have DBM
4th if the first three requirements are met; want the stainless model

DBM for me is the easiest to "mess with" when in the field.

Loading, unloading, with gloves on, follow-up shots, carring spare ammo, etc.

I'm well aware a lot of people hate them - as they do synthetic stocks.

Each to their own.................beauty is in the eye of the beholder !