Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included) >

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

Jeepkid, haven't shot it yet. Wanted to make sure everything is ok before I invest in bases and a scope. So i took it to the gunsmith at the dealer where I got it from, that dealership I feel like is ripping me off all the time. I showed the brass to the gunsmith, he said he will take it home and look at it and figure out what's wrong. Oh and that will be 100 dollars. Also i wanted a badger tactical knob, they would charge a 100 for it.

Next I sold them my savage Mark II FV, and they gave me 70 dollars for it...it has a bipod, and a 60 dollar scope and the gun itself was 250. So i spent like 350, and 3 months later, got 70 for it... basically using that 70 just for them to check the gun out.

So to get a stock 700 P and to have it fixed, I spent 950 for gun, then 40 for a box of 20 rounds, then 100 for them to "fix" a brand new gun which completely isn't my fault, and another 100 to put a bolt on, and I had to give my savage 22 away.
Wow......
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man you are getting ripped off. I personally would be kicking a little butt. But then that is me. For $100 you could have driven to the nearest Remington gunsmith and probably saved money!! You do know that Remington has certified gunsmith's around the country?? Don't you?? Or you could have shipped it to Remington yourself. Tom.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Jeepkid, haven't shot it yet. Wanted to make sure everything is ok before I invest in bases and a scope. So i took it to the gunsmith at the dealer where I got it from, that dealership I feel like is ripping me off all the time. I showed the brass to the gunsmith, he said he will take it home and look at it and figure out what's wrong. Oh and that will be 100 dollars. Also i wanted a badger tactical knob, they would charge a 100 for it.

Next I sold them my savage Mark II FV, and they gave me 70 dollars for it...it has a bipod, and a 60 dollar scope and the gun itself was 250. So i spent like 350, and 3 months later, got 70 for it... basically using that 70 just for them to check the gun out.

So to get a stock 700 P and to have it fixed, I spent 950 for gun, then 40 for a box of 20 rounds, then 100 for them to "fix" a brand new gun which completely isn't my fault, and another 100 to put a bolt on, and I had to give my savage 22 away.
Thats actually about right for the bolt knob. But I would think they would check the case thing free.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the cases, the little bur will most likely wear off after time. I've saw guns do worse to cases and they still shoot awesome...
I agree that if its only a minor bur then maybe it would wear out eventually, but then again if you paid that much for a new rifle you'd assume the QC would ensure that these things wouldnt occur. Personally I work in QC and in my industry theres very tough standards and guidlines,& you would thing firearms would be the same!!

From my experience I tried to live with it and ran 140 rounds through before I got fed up with it. I decided it hadnt improved at all, locking the bolt was still too tight & the scratches were to extreme. Plus Im far to fussy!!! I sent it to a Remington gunsmith, He did F*%K all to it! Gave it to my friends gunsmith and now it works fine ($150aus later). Infact because I ran 140 rounds through (and it showed no improvement) there was a large amount of brass scrapings/fowling that the bur had caught up within the chamber.

I also agree that if you send it under warranty then it should be free to fix the problem. If it persists get a better gunsmith to take a look (only thing is if his not a remington gunsmith then it voids remington warranty if he touches it. So if you go down this path & ifremington ever ask down the track if anyone else has done work on it say no!)

Bottomline is, if his not happy get it fixed cause if your as fussy as me, then you will never be happy!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your shop needs to learn about customer service. If I was treated like that I'd never buy another thing from them including paying for this warranty work. Give Remington a call and a chance to make things right. And if you need to pay for the fixes, take it to another place for a second opinion!!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

. Everyt Rifle I have ever owned is a Remington. I can assure that the Remingtons I have will outshoot many of the modern Remingtons these days. This is what he gets when he Orders something hes never seen. Go straight to your dealer and pick itup as soon as its in, if he doesnt have one there. Open the box, have the dealer inspect it, you inspect, it, clean it, shoot it, and then if there are problems have the delaer take care of it.

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

First mistake, buying a Remington!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

timber iz right...remington iz fast becoming a poor brand.. i think it started with those 710s and plummeted..
Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problem with my 760s or 700s
ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

timber iz right...remington iz fast becoming a poor brand.. i think it started with those 710s and plummeted..
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that a Remmy gunsmith ought to fix the problem under warranty, but...

The $100 for the bolt is a custom item. Can't blame Remington for that cost...

And, I don't see how Remington is to blame for you getting ripped off on your Savage.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
MagnumMan308

Just quit worrying and shoot the damn thing. That heav barreled remington will run with any other factory rifle made past or present accuracy wise, and thats all that counts in this sort of rifle.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Does it scratch the case when you chamber a round without first loading it in the magazine. I seen something similar to this once and it was occuring as the case slid out from under the mag rails. If its actually scratching the brass in the chamber then I would take it to a smith. Remington will waranty it. If you a advertourous you could probably polish it with a Dremmel tool.

I know you are upset about the "quality" of you new expensive rifle, but it can be fixed and shouldn't cost you anything.

to those who have been arguing about custom action etc:
You all really shouldn't run your mouth about what you don't know. Everyone that said that the rem700 is the most common action for customs is absolutely correct. Also, if you look into the "aftermarket" actions available you will find that the overwhelming majority of them are "remington clones"

heck, The entire custom action market is dominated by actions cloned from the Remington 700 or 40X. Nearly every Benchrest action is a rem clone. The reason is the natural inheritant accuracy of the action, the quick lock time, and the simplicity of the design.

There is nothing magical about one action as opposed to others. They all have the same purpose: that is to hold the barrel/round/bolt square and centered to one another.

Custom hunting rifles are not a new thing. they've been around for quite awhile. Mauser actions were prefered for many years not for quality but because of availablity. Though some of the mauser actions are quite high quality. You can have a custom rifle built on any action you want. Any gunsmith that turns you away because you're not using his/her prefered actiondoesn't deserve your business. any respectable Gunsmith should be able to true/square an action and thread a barrel for that action. Now thats not to say that he/she may not attempt to talk you into using a different action because they might.

I build my own, I don't build rifles for anyone else. I use Remington actions exclusively because I only purchased the tools to work on Remingtons

Quick Reply: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.