Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington SPS SST >

Remington SPS SST

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington SPS SST

Old 06-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington SPS SST

I was at Cabelas today checking out some guns. I almost bought a Remington SPS SST Camo. While I was mulling it over I was checking out the used gun rack and they had two of the SPS SST Camo guns on the rack and the SST was rusting and pitted on the barrel. Seeing that made me decide not to buy the new gun. Do any of you have the Remington SPS SST models? If so do you have problems with rust? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Remington SPS SST

If SST = Stainless Steel, yes! I have the 700 SPS Stainless in .300 WSM. I've no issues with rust. I've been considering another .270 or .243
Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the rifles I saw were just not cared for properly. Anybody else have any experience with the SPS Stainless?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 AM

I have seen many neglected stainless steel guns but never any rust.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

These two gun's barrels were pitted and rough and had a brownish tinge to them. It looked like rust to me.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

mine doesnt show any signs of rust on it at all. I have hunted in the rain with it, forgotten to dry it off or clean it for over a week, and there was NO rust or any visible signs of water damage anywhere.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

The SPS finish is a rougher finish then the previous stainless steel BDL finish and will hold more water so yes I can see how it can rust and easily.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

For most of us, caring for our guns properly is almost a passion. We would never let a firearm sit neglected. But, there are others, I'm sure who view them as only a tool such as a shovel or a pick. They treat them pretty rough.
I too have seen such abused guns and wonder what kind of a person could let that happen. I just can't take them all home with me.........
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM

I don't have a Remington in SST but my Encore .50 Cal barrel in stainless does have some brown spots on it from several days of hunting in the rain. No pitting, but I can't get rid of the spots.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

For most of us, caring for our guns properly is almost a passion. We would never let a firearm sit neglected. But, there are others, I'm sure who view them as only a tool such as a shovel or a pick. They treat them pretty rough.
I too have seen such abused guns and wonder what kind of a person could let that happen. I just can't take them all home with

There are times that a rifle cannot be pampered ..Hunting in a remote area precludes that from happening. I leave my rifles outside the tent at night if on that type of hunt.

Quick Reply: Remington SPS SST

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.