Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .380

I have a colt 380 and that is my ccw, I also have a browning 9mm and a couple 45's but they are just too big and bulky for my liking. I have never concerned myself with whether it is big enough or not, when I was in high school I worked in a morgue part time and let me say this a .22 willterminate someone if needed.....
Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally, when one refers to a cartridge as ".308" here on the forum, most of us think ".308 Winchester", not ".308 Norma Magnum". Same thing goes for "9mm".

The COMMON reference to "9mm" anymore is the "9mm Pararbellum", or "9x19mm NATO", not the "9mm Largo/9x23mm."

Though some will errantly say "caliber" when they mean "chambering" or "cartridge", most of the postings above clearly indicate a discussion regarding cartridges.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

No kiddin'! However, the statement was that the 9mm was bigger. I took that as pertaining to caliber as I'm sure most would not cartridge length. Very seldom is cartridge length a real selling point or topical discussion where energy and terminal performance is the topic. That said, I responded by simply stating that the common 9mmParabellm cartridge and the .380 ACP cartrdge which was the original topic are both the same size caliber. Both are .355 caliber, not one being bigger as was posted.
Cartridge length is not automatically a "bigger= more power" anymore than larger calibers automatically equaling more power.

Similar bullet, different cart.
Same bullet different cartridge. I didn't say the 9mmParabellum would chamber in a .380. I stated they were indeed the same caliber.
If you want to get technical, then yes, they use the same bullet. However most would take what you said to mean they are the same round, which they are indeed not. The .380 is more like a 9mm short.

When comparing federal's Hydroshock loadings the .380 is slightly less powerful than a .38 special. Getting similar velocities out of a lighter bullet. When you step up to the 9mm you can get the same velocity with a bullet that is almost 50 grns heavier. Not to mention the availability of 9mm ammo and probably less cost as well. And with some +P loads you can get similar ballistics to a standard .357 mag.

The Walther .380s are nice guns though, I owned one for a while. My only complaint was that it wasn't very accurate. After owning both, for me I would opt for a compact 9mm over the 380.

Paul

Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Same bullet different cartridge. I didn't say the 9mm Parabellum would chamber in a .380. I stated they were indeed the same caliber.
Relax, I was just giving you a little grief. I just like the 9mm because it has little more punch. Having been shot with both a .380 and a 9mm, I can tell you the 9 is a better way to go. I carry a 9 mainly because my wife can shoot it easily. When she tried the .40 at the range, it was a bit much for her, so I got the Glock 26 so we could both carry it. I don't think I'll ever get her to shoot the .41 mag.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

Same bullet different cartridge. I didn't say the 9mmParabellum would chamber in a .380. I stated they were indeed the same caliber.
Relax, I was just giving you a little grief. I just like the 9mm because it has little more punch. Having been shot with both a .380 and a 9mm, I can tell you the 9 is a better way to go. I carry a 9 mainly because my wife can shoot it easily. When she tried the .40 at the range, it was a bit much for her, so I got the Glock 26 so we could both carry it. I don't think I'll ever get her to shoot the .41 mag.
Woaw ... dude.... Big tiny ... you been shot with both a .380 and a 9mm ...??? And you are still letting the wife handle your guns..... mannnnn we need to talk...

MET

Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Woaw ... dude.... Big tiny ... you been shot with both a .380 and a 9mm ...??? And you are still letting the wife handle your guns..... mannnnn we need to talk...

MET "

[8D][8D][8D]
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

Same bullet different cartridge. I didn't say the 9mm Parabellum would chamber in a .380. I stated they were indeed the same caliber.
Woaw ... dude.... Big tiny ... you been shot with both a .380 and a 9mm ...??? And you are still letting the wife handle your guns..... mannnnn we need to talk...

MET
It wasn't my wife that shot me!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Carry a gun that you will carry! A gun you leave in the car or in the safe at homeis no good to you. I have a 9mm, a 357 revolver, and a sub-compact380. I bought the 9mm & 357 first but found I was leaving them at home and even though they arecompact models,they still made me uncomfortable as they were bulkier and heavier. Now, I almost always carry the 380 because I can slip in the pocket of my shorts or inside a windbreaker and it is not noticable and is light to carry.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get into a gun fight and don't hang around some of the less desirable areas of town, so I just want something to fall back on if the unexpected happens.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Texas Bow Hunter Quote: "I have a colt 380 and that is my ccw, I also have a browning 9mm and a couple 45's but they are just too big and bulky for my liking. I have never concerned myself with whether it is big enough or not, when I was in high school I worked in a morgue part time and let me say this a .22 willterminate someone if needed..... "

The morgue? Dude, they were already dead when you shot them!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Bersa 380, and it's a great little CCW gun. Nothing wrong with a 380 IMO. Yes there are bigger badder rounds but then they guns that shoot them are bigger and harder to conceal. With today's ammo choices, the 380 can be a good round for a carry gun. I believe Corbon makes a good defense round for the 380.

And the 380 is nothing more/less than a "9mm short" basically. I would NOT shy away from the 380 if it's a gun you can conceal and shoot well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.