Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mini-14's

Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mini-14's

I am going to buy one of these in the morning and was wondering how do they shoot? I have been wanting one for a while now.Are they good guns?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mini-14's

Personally, I'd rather have an AR-15. The Mini's aren't as accurate.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned two of them and neither were whatI would call very accurate . I switched to theRock River AR-15 and never been sorry , much better rifle .
Old 05-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

I am going to buy one of these in the morning and was wondering how do they shoot? I have been wanting one for a while now.Are they good guns?
The new ones have become outrageously expensive-in addition, despite their new barrel size and several other "upgrades", NRA test firings show that they still aren't particularly accurate-over 2 MOA average. Not nearly good enough for a .223! It costs a small fortune, in addition to the purchase price, to have one accurized.

IF all you care about is volume of fire, they are acceptable, but not if you like to hit point targets with aimed fire!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone complains about the accuracy with the se but I wonder if these same folks spend the time finding the guns preferred load? I wonder if these same folks understand these aren't intended to be target rifles (ok the new T model maybe) Everyone compares them to the Ar's yet i don't see them being in the same category other than they're both semi-auto carbines. Buy the gun that suits your individual needs and go from there.
wabted one for a while and no homework til now? Having the mind made up to buy one tomorrow and asking about them now is kinda like asking about the dress code after you've left the house.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I backed out of the deal after reading up on them a little more.Im not accuracy freak but i do like to hit what im aiming at.Some of these things are shooting like 3 and 4moa at 100yds.Im sorry but if im going to spend $500 or $600 on a rifle,i would atleast expect it to get 2moa or better at 100yds.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You made the right choice.

Here is what I did with mine. Trigger job, 3 different base/rings combinations, 2 different Leupold scopes, just a guess, but 20 some various loads, and still never got acceptable hunting accuracy. Every once in a while I'd get a fluke 3 shot group (1-1.5"), and I'd think I was on to something. Next group was 5-6". I've since bought a few AR15s, and accuracy has never bene a problem since. I still have my Mini as its kinda a keepsake for me. It hasn't been fired in a few years now though.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

"NRA test firings show that they still aren't particularly accurate-over 2 MOA average."

In the June copy of American Rifleman is the test results of the latest iteration of the Mini-14. Average of 5 shot groupwas 3.81"at 100 yards.SKS accuracy at suggested retail price of $1,035.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I remember correctly, these were the favored guns of the A-Team, who in fact, never hit a single thing they were shootin at. [:@]

Seriously though, they are dissapointing for the price. Nice looks, mediocre performance.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a Mini-30, and am frankly underwhelmed. I have a Ruger M77 and love it, so it seemed a natural to get another Ruger.

The accuracy issue is for real, although I have gotten accustomed to the trigger and can now put five shots in 4 inches on a good day. That's unsupported prone with peep sights.

What I have found most infuriating is the magazine. The mag that came with the rifle had failed in the spot welds along the front. I got hold of Ruger and had them send me a new one. The new one is okay, except for the small detail that it won't chamber the final round. I've fired off 8 full magazines, and seven times it failed to chamber - the bolt cocks but the round is still sitting there in the magazine.

It is fun to shoot but definitely has some glitches. Knowing what I know now, I don't know if I would have bought it. I still go round and round on that question. A point on price, it costs around $700 in real world money (MSRP is a marketing device), and you can't get into an AR for less than $900 (or $1,100 if you want a good one).

Quick Reply: Mini-14's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.