Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning BOSS removal/ replacement? >

Browning BOSS removal/ replacement?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BOSS removal/ replacement?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Browning BOSS removal/ replacement?

Considering removing my boss system on my browning abolt, does anyone know if they make a cap/screw on replacement part for this purpose?

or would you just unscrew it and leave the threads exposed?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Browning BOSS removal/ replacement?

Hacksaw works well or you can call browning and get the CR attachment and not worry about it.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oxygen/Acetylene
Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Are you just trying to get rid of the noise? Try the BOSS CR. Ordered direct from browning and cheap. No extra noise and normal recoil, but still adjustable for harmonics.

mello
Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wish I never got the boss, so would like it to just look like a normal finished barrel, I'm looking for something like a nut to put over the threads at the end of it, though I think maybe I'll just leave the threads exposed due to harmonics etc......

If I had to I could have a piece machined for this purpose.

I'd just would find a load that would work with the shorter/boss removed barrel.

replacing it with the CR, I think I'd just save my money and avoid that. I think it was one of those marketing gimics that got me.....its on my .300 win mag, i shoot 180gr from it, they give you recommended settings but they don't give you for every load out there, I figur ejust remove it altogether. that or just leave it.

Also wouldnt exposed threads probably be more suseptable to weather? since its probably raw steel, not blued etc....thats why I was thinking a nut to cover the threads and maybe some lock tite would be the trick.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Wish I never got the boss, so would like it to just look like a normal finished barrel, I'm looking for something like a nut to put over the threads at the end of it, though I think maybe I'll just leave the threads exposed due to harmonics etc......

If I had to I could have a piece machined for this purpose.

I'd just would find a load that would work with the shorter/boss removed barrel.

replacing it with the CR, I think I'd just save my money and avoid that. I think it was one of those marketing gimics that got me.....its on my .300 win mag, i shoot 180gr from it, they give you recommended settings but they don't give you for every load out there, I figur ejust remove it altogether. that or just leave it.

Also wouldnt exposed threads probably be more suseptable to weather? since its probably raw steel, not blued etc....thats why I was thinking a nut to cover the threads and maybe some lock tite would be the trick.
Why not try the Boss CR? Buds Gun Shop has it for $19. I guarantee you'll spend atleast as much if you have something machined for it. If you don't like it, sale or trade iton an online classified.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's blued underneath. Just get out a hacksaw wack off the barrel after the graduation marks and then using a file and a cone shaped dremel bit and grind a good chamfer in the end of that barrel.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 PM

I found that my rifle shoots great without the BOSS attached. So I wanted to buy just a cap to cover the threads not the long CR part, but never have found one. What I do (because I am scared of getting too close to a rifle with a hacksaw) is during hunting season I use some black electrical tape on the threads to protect them then after the season I replace the BOSS until next years sight in.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe there's a market for Boss CAPS ? Could have the old man machine one.....though I'm not sure this is a million dollar invention....haha.

I'm thinking ya just removing it altogether, the black electricla tape sounds decent.....

I may see how it shoots without the boss, see if I can find a load that does as well w/o the boss as with.

I know/seen other manufacturers with muzzle brake caps for when/if you wanted to remove/unscrew their brakes....

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi, I'm new hear. Just thought I'd pipe in. I have a BAR with the BOSS. I called Browning and they sent me a BOSS CR. Free of charge and on my porch in three days. I looks fine and works well. The CR stands for conventional recoil. Doing anything else to your rifle would not make sense.

Mickey Finn

Quick Reply: Browning BOSS removal/ replacement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.