Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How important is barrel length? >

How important is barrel length?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How important is barrel length?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: How important is barrel length?

I've just spent more time than I should have to editing the last 7-8 pages on this topic. If you want to post more on the original topic, post away. If anybody is going to post more sexual innuendo or insults to each other, such posts will be edited and permabans requested. This is a family friendly website that is about hunting and hunters. Please follow the rules.

CalHunter
Old 05-03-2008, 05:58 AM

I'm guessin' then, that to fit in on this site you first, shouldn't have any knowledge of rifle building, precision reloading, or precision shooting at long range......

And, second, you shouldn't understand the nuances of the Laws of Physics and how they apply to riflebuilding, reloading, and shooting.

A fat barreled, as issued factory Savage/scope combo.....shooting the cheapestfactory ammo on the shelf,is all you need.

Laffin' MFAO.........
Old 05-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

try staying on topic, and treat folks with a lil respect wether they agree with you or not.
Ridge that is good advice above. You should try following it yourself. Looking through your past posts you are one of the worst culprits on this site for not respecting others opinions.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ORIGINAL:

OCW not only negates contour worries in a good barrel but diminishes such voodoo as bullet lot # differences, powder lot # differences, case capacity varience issues, weather/temp/humidity related issues, and such.......

pure BS!!! temp changes pressure, humidity changes the burn rate of powder. OCW is a theory that has never been proven 100%.
RR
So this is what YOU call treatingfolks "with a lil respect wether they agree with you or not."?????

You are a joke dude.......

ORIGINAL:Ridge Runner

besides, you didn't write the book on firearms
Never said I did write the book, but I did say I follow what's been written in them, and I understand it............but I can read though.

I argued with ya.....there's where I'm guilty.

'Twas you, not me, that gotyour panties twisted in a knot, and likely hammered a PM or two to a mod to put me in my place.

Makin' rifles shoot well,is easy......that partflew right over your head.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM

I want a long barrel in a varmint rifle for velocity, but a shorter stiff barrel for pure accuracy and punching paper.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen some darn thin barrels that were very accurate. They were high quality barrels on built hunting rifles. They may not have been able to group quickly all day because of barrel heating but with allowing for a good cool down they amazed me. The rifles belonged to some gentlemen I met at the range. They had them for hunting out west in the mountains where weight was a consideration. Then they broke out their heavy bean field rifles and really amazed me. The barrels were all high-end barrels with hand loads. Quality and hand loading were the determining factors. For the length it is up to you to decide what trade offs you want. Lighter and handier or max velocity. I think you need to make that your determining factor. If you hunt from a climber or have really long hikes a 26,28, or 30 heavy barrel may not be for you. That is just an example. Decide by looking at your hunting style. I don’t believe that length is the determining factor for accuracy. Some people like the longer barrels with slower powders and pushing the speed envelope and still get the accuracy. Others like the opposite. For me, if it were going to be a range gun mostly then I personally would pick a longer heavy barrel. As others have said you can’t add barrel length later.