Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How important is barrel length? >

How important is barrel length?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How important is barrel length?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is barrel length?

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Either of the remington's will be fine. Eventually if you like the accuracy game you will need to upgrade to a custom barrel and the Remington is a great platform for a build job. I would say that a 22" barrel would be about perfect for the 308. Get one and shoot the throat out then rebarrel with a Shilen or equivolent.

I'd suggest the varmint model simply because I think the stock is better suited for your purposes.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Get the Remington 700 sps varmint, Bed and float it, shoot it to heck and back to learn the basics, then use the action as a platform for a custom built.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

The fish, BTW, is a dink......................................
Probably the same thing that blonde said about your "barrel length"
That blonde is/was aRock Star atjudging goodequipment.

Have never known myself to disappoint the ladiesin that regard......

I'm sure tho',you're just trollin' for proof.

Heard talk aboutthe mules, down there in WV, gettin' kinda tired when Drivers Ed and Sex Ed is on the same day.

Poor mules....................
Old 05-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please remember I am but a simple soul from WV, so you should certainly understand why I would consider your trout impressive. And actually we prefer sheep over mules. The mules are just too DERN tall. Tom.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Either of the remington's will be fine. Eventually if you like the accuracy game you will need to upgrade to a custom barrel and the Remington is a great platform for a build job. I would say that a 22" barrel would be about perfect for the 308. Get one and shoot the throat out then rebarrel with a Shilen or equivolent.

I'd suggest the varmint model simply because I think the stock is better suited for your purposes.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Get the Remington 700 sps varmint, Bed and float it, shoot it to heck and back to learn the basics, then use the action as a platform for a custom built.
Don't forget about the Sendero and 700P rifles from Remington...

Or even the FN PBR/SPR...

Or the CZ 550 Varmint...

All are great actions to build off of later on...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Don't forget about the Sendero and 700P rifles from Remington...

Or even the FN PBR/SPR...

Or the CZ 550 Varmint...

All are great actions to build off of later on...
I like the Sendaro butI figured I would getthe SPS and use the remaining money to buy some reloading equipment.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ORIGINAL:

OCW not only negates contour worries in a good barrel but diminishes such voodoo as bullet lot # differences, powder lot # differences, case capacity varience issues, weather/temp/humidity related issues, and such.......

pure BS!!! temp changes pressure, humidity changes the burn rate of powder. OCW is a theory that has never been proven 100%.
RR
It's understandable that some wouldn't understand how to apply simple laws of physics to a simple problem such as adjusting the speed of a projectile....in order to time it's exit within'fractions of a second upon it's exit from a piece of pipe. A certain apptitude and skill level would be required for optimum results and am thinkin' at least that of a McDonaldsfry cook.....

The word I used was "diminishes"....source a dictionary and see it's proven that word does not mean "eliminate".

Can only guess, thatyou too...are a west virginian.......

And yes...I've proven OCW to myself in every rifle I've R&D'd for, since I was introduced to it.

Your Milage Will Certainly Vary I'm Sure....................(YMWCVIS)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wilds..... Who do you do firearms and ballistics R&D for??
Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Amazingly I own/shoot, and my hunting/shooting pards own/shoot, more than one rifle/chambering....

And...Them/Me are/is guilty of seeking the best performance possible.

We've narrowed Gear choice down to that which works and tend not to frig around much obtaining Good Results.

I tend to dump a goodly portion of earnings into hunting and shooting....and feel no shame doing so.

I don't golf, nor drive a bass boat either, and couldn't conjure even a clue about that..........................
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wilds

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

The fish, BTW, is a dink......................................
Probably the same thing that blonde said about your "barrel length"

I'm sure tho',you're just trollin' for proof.
Not hardley. I'm sure your just confused because you and your hunting "pards" are used to frequenting "other-type" forums as opposed to actual hunting forums. Good luck with both
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

the way you develope a load has nothing to do with how conditions effect it, doesn't matter which word you use its BS, a few others here also own/shoot several, and some of us many different cartridges.

Sure the OCW is the best, thats why the top BR shooters use the same 5 cases all season till they're junk, and use a casefull of powder (thats no weighing or measureing) I've done it every way possible to develope loads, the results are the same with each method, group size will not get better in any given rifle from one method to the other if you do it correctly every way. haven't reloaded 30 years and not learned anything!

yes I'm from wv, chose to live here out of all the other states I lived in, you should spend some time here, you'll find out that were not just dumb hillbillies, and also that we don't think much of the keyboard commando smart@$$ attitudes.
RR
It's crystalclear you've not a clue what OCW is, or how it's applied.....

Spent 'nuff time just below WV, livin', and workin' with west virginians "smart" 'nuff to seek a decent wage, to know allabout west virginia.

The best thing that EVER came outta that place was I-77 South..............

Quick Reply: How important is barrel length?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.