HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Okay, what is the most expensive gun you own, and are willing to hunt with it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/244374-okay-what-most-expensive-gun-you-own-willing-hunt.html)

llbts1 04-29-2008 08:14 PM

Okay, what is the most expensive gun you own, and are willing to hunt with it?

I own some nice guns, but they have become safe queens. When I go afield, I want something that I won't cringe at every little scratch when out. I know that it starts to seem like a waste, but I look at some of them as investments. Your ideas please.

DM 04-29-2008 08:33 PM

RE: Okay, what is the most expensive gun you own, and are willing to hunt with it?

I wouldn't own something i wouldn't hunt with... If i can't hunt with it, it's usless to me.

I hunt all the time with this gun, and i don't give a dam what it cost, or what it's worth...

DM

salukipv1 04-29-2008 10:11 PM

RE: Okay, what is the most expensive gun you own, and are willing to hunt with it?

safe queens? haha......I'm not sure I'd ever own a safe queen no matter what it were worth.....

I dont collect rifles, perhaps if I ever do then I can understand a safe queen, but even then, i can see spending some big bucks on a amazing rifle, id want to use it occasionally.

That .577NE original I want will cost a few bucks, and if/when I ever get one, I plan to use it......

a nice dakota will run upwards of 7-8k, and for that price youre buying a rifle thats designed to be used! so with that in mind the rifle would have to be worth more than that to think about it being a safe queen....

I'm curious what these safe queens are you that you say.....? is it value? is it sentimental value? are they just retired rifles?

guns get dropped....nicks get put in them, thats what happens when hunting...... when going hunting Id pick the best rifle option I have to use.....I wouldnt skip on using my .300 win mag on elk and take my .243 because my .243 is a junker.....and really why own a junker? if all your rifles are in the same class, I think maybe you wont worry about one over the other as much.

ipscshooter 04-29-2008 10:45 PM

I don't have any "safe queens". My most expensive is probably an M1A National Match. I suppose they're worth around $2 G's or thereabouts. I've used it in three gun matches, and plan to scope it and take it deer hunting at some point. Second most expensive would be a Browning Special Sporting Clays. It's got tens of thousands of rounds through it. The rest are pretty utilitarian. Remington 700's, an 11-87, and a few others...

ruger357w 04-30-2008 04:24 AM

My most expenisive gun is my Colt ar-15. I wont hunt with it mainly because it's to heavy. It's the target one with a bull barrel.

Hairtrigger 04-30-2008 04:48 AM

I have a Kimber of Oregon that has a low S/n. It would be a shame not to use that rifle but then again I do have to be more careful when hunting with it.

mauser06 04-30-2008 05:12 AM

i got somewhere around 1300$ in a factory varmint rifle right now...when im done with it down the road, i will likely have 2000+ into it...more once im ready for a new barrel..heck, maybe more if i get a Nightforce scope down the road:D

right now im like DM...if i dont hunt with it, its only because its not legal to hunt with...(my pistols and semi auto rifles)

down the road i may collect some firearms...but they will be regular old guns that have collectors value and will be more of an investment than anything

nchawkeye 04-30-2008 05:16 AM

You put jewelry in a safe...You take a gun hunting...

Buck Hunter 1 04-30-2008 05:23 AM

BPR in 7MM my wife bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I scoped it w/ a leopold 3x9. It os my retirement gun (joke at camp). For when I am too old to hump the mountains in PA and will be sitting in one of our heated blinds we built for the elder hunters in our group. Probably all in around $1,300.00 good shooter as well.

DoctorDeath 04-30-2008 05:56 AM

Well the good Doctor is just a poor ole country boy ...I use a Browning FN Mauser that was made in 1967 ....when I got it 9 or 10 years ago it was in mint condition but after 10 seasons of deer hunting and 3 trips to Canada its showing some wear ....

dd