Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would you buy stainless steel? >

Would you buy stainless steel?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you buy stainless steel?

No, nor laminated wood or plastic, either!!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I really like the look and feel of a blued / wooden stocked rifle. To me they are just nicer to look at, however that seems to be at odds with what I want a rifle for.
A this point, all of my rifles are blued/wood, but if I were to purchase another, it would be a stainless/composite.

As for which rifle to look at, I don't think you can go wrong with a Browning. Either the new X-Bolt or an A-Bolt.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read somewher that stainless barrels......esp from big manufacturers tend to be higher quality ....than their regular barrels. so for that reason they may be worth it, higher quality, better accuracty etc.....

my favoriteis stainless coated black......not sure why more stainless are like this.....but depends on the gun/caliber, where its used etc.....but ya if they are better barrels, that alone is a good reason to get one.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I read somewher that stainless barrels......esp from big manufacturersB ....than their regular barrels. so for that reason they may be worth it, higher quality, better accuracty etc.....

my favoriteis stainless coated black......not sure why more stainless are like this.....but depends on the gun/caliber, where its used etc.....but ya if they are better barrels, that alone is a good reason to get one.
May be - it is certainly true that it is harder to machine stainless to the same degree of accuracy and finish as chrome-moly!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Spike

When I said that I liked the way stainless looks, I meant just the barrel and not the black plastic stock. If I want another wood stock with a stainless barrel, then it would be the Browning A-Bolt white Gold Medallion. What a beauty!!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I got a Rem 700xcr in .30-06 last year and I really like it!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunting the North

I got a Rem 700xcr in .30-06 last year and I really like it!
I was wanting a 30-06 too...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: XL Jedi

Actually,I was considering the Zeiss Conquest in a 3-9 40 with that new Rapid-Z600 optic. ...or possibly a Nikon Monarch. On either an X-Bolt SS or the 700XCR...

Haven't really made up my mind completely though. I read something about the 700sps having a little trouble with jamming due to the magazine havingoffset rounds. ...and they fixed it by purchasing a newin-line magazine.

Which composite/SSdo you all like?

The problems I have seen mentioned are in relation to the change outin line magswere for the wsm chamberings only. I have a 700spsin a 2506 rem(same case as the 3006 just necked down to .257 bullet) and it feeds fine. I have had several other 700's and no feeding issues with standardor mag cartridges(not wsm's).

I too like wood and blued but can't argue with the functional appeal SS/Composite offers. My most recent purchasewas a moose/elk gun thatwill besubjected to rain/snowso I picked SS/Composite finish. It just made more sense.

FWIW I just gota conquest with the z600 reticle and I am enjoying it. I haven't been one for Ball. Plexs in the past so it took me a few minutes to get use to the site picture but know I find it clean/easy to shoot. This #4 in terms of conquests and nothing but good things to say about them. Good choice
Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

May be - it is certainly true that it is harder to machine stainless to the same degree of accuracy and finish as chrome-moly!
Hmm then why are 100% of benchrest barrels made of SS ?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like guns in stainless. I like the look and I like the lower maintenance factor. Most of my guns are stainless.

Tom

Quick Reply: Would you buy stainless steel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.