Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would you buy stainless steel?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you buy stainless steel?

I read that SS barrels, can actually rust or pit....that theyre more resistant to weather/rain/water, but not 100% care free.

And above it was stated that 100% of benchrest barrels are SS so that only goes to back up what i first thought, they are high quality, and should be more accurate, they may be harder to machine.....than reg barrels, but all that means is that theyre harder to machine.....

sometimes plain stainless can look attractive to me,it still surprises me that few coat the stainless black......i think thats best of both worlds, though that dull stainless I'm sure doesn't relfect much like a shined chrome barrel or glossy blued for that matter, but a blackened SS is quite awesome.

I do find on most customs......stainless barrels and alot of time they are coated black.....so that also goes to reinforce that SS barrels are higher quality, and shoot better. or at least could....

Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do find on most customs......stainless barrels and alot of time they are coated black.....so that also goes to reinforce that SS barrels are higher quality, and shoot better. or at least could....

SS and a CM if machined and rifled correctly will shoot exactly the same
Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about shot after shot. Does one dissapate heat better?

Tom
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about shot after shot. Does one dissapate heat better?

I would imagine there could be a difference in whose favor I honestly don't want to speculate. Heat would affect barrels in other areas such as throwing the POI off if there are inherent stresses in the manufacturing process and the barrel is excessively heated up. I will say that a fluted correctly button rifled barrel or cut rifled barrel will probably maintain a better POI then a hammerforged barrel that has been fluted.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have some of both Stainless and Blued.. I have a Ruger stainless with a brown laminated stock and it is a good looking stick.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my big game rifles are s/s with synthetic stocks and that’s the way I like it...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Ok so this is how it goes...
You go on a deer hunt for a couple days. It rains while your there.
When you get back you should have to clean it immediatly or the day afterthe rain if you dont have stainless.
If you have stainless you get back from your hunt and you wait a week then clean your gun.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

Ok so this is how it goes...
You go on a deer hunt for a couple days. It rains while your there.
When you get back you should have to clean it immediatly or the day afterthe rain if you dont have stainless.
If you have stainless you get back from your hunt and you wait a week then clean your gun.

For me where SSmakes it isduring awet day hunting then sitting in a scabbord or gun case for a period prior to being wiped down. Had it happen a few years ago to a CM barrel while i dealt withmy bullmoose, in total it sat in the scabbord for 6 hours and when i pulled it out small pits started to form. Extremecase possiblybut considering that is what we typically see and on the chance it happens in the same manner I decieded SS is the way to go. FWIW my partner's SSrifle was subjected to the conditions and he never experienced any problems. In fact he just sat in the corner of the tent and crawled into the sack..no wiping or oiling. Meanwhile i sat in the corner with my bottom lip on my toes...[] That said I have been accussed of being anal and wipe down my rifles asap after a wet day in the field, regardless if SS or blued. I also run a dry patch, followed by a lightly oiled patch and the next am another dry patch to remoave any excess oil.