HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning A-Bolt, Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T3, Winchester Modle 70 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/244310-browning-bolt-browning-x-bolt-tikka-t3-winchester-modle-70-a.html)

ox1443 04-29-2008 11:29 AM

Browning A-Bolt, Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T3, Winchester Modle 70

which onewould u pick out of these??????? For Elk/Moose/white-tail deer/mule deer???

Champlain Islander 04-29-2008 02:36 PM

RE: Browning A-Bolt, Browning X-Bolt or Tikka T3, Winchester Modle 70

I am looking to buy another gun just for elk. After reading quite a bit about the different calibers I would opt for .300 WSM. I would really like the .325 WSM but for some reason the ammo availability isn't anywhere near the .300 WSM. I like Federal Vital Shok factory ammo with 180 gr Barnes TSX and Federal doesn't make a .325 load. Ilike the looks of the new Browning X-Bolt. I haven't had the chance to see one in person though and perhaps I would change to another manufacturer when I get to play around with one at the shop. The .300 WSM is a great caliber for the heavy game but probably over kill for deer sized animals IMO

salukipv1 04-29-2008 04:42 PM

doesnt the mod 70 come in .300 wsm? pretty sure it does.....

what about a browning a bolt?

7wsm is dead or dying....

325wsm jury is still out though it may stay around

.300 wsm is a raging success.

skeeter 7MM 04-30-2008 12:30 AM

I'd pick the one that felt and fit the best. All fine choices but if it doesn't fit or feel good it is a poor one to pick...JMHO. As far as chambering I'dgo witheither the 7mm rem mag or 300 for the 1 gun for all.

In terms of the 325wsm, the problem stems from NA's unwillingness to accept 8mm based cartridge's. The 8mm rem mag which is what compares to the 325wsm(not the 338wm)is also a good cartridge just never took. Even for a reloader 8mm bullets are limited in comparison to others like the .308, .338, etc. It's seems too close to the .308 and not close enough to the .338 to roost anyone from these well established calibers. As far as the chambering it has potential i have been playing with one this year and I kinda like it. However when it came down to my elk/moose gun between a left handed 325wsm and 338wm I chose the 338wm pretty quickly. Similar recoil but more selection/availability in bullets, components and game performance I believe is a notch up for elk +.

If your looking for a wsmfor elk then 300wsm is the one to pick IMO if you don't reload. If open to a LA I'd actually pick the 300wm if wanting a .308 or the .338wm if you want more hammerat your finger. Both are popular so ammo selection and availability is good. Here wsm ammo costs more then comparable magnum ammo, though maybe not like that where you live??? If you deciede later to reload it opens up the possibilities for using heavy for cal and longer bullets that seem to rob performance from the wsm IME. Hey if it truly is an elk only gun why limit yourself is my thinking??? You maywant a 200 or 220 gr bullet in a 300 or 250gr .338 due to hunting in griz country..maybe not but something you may want to mull over during the touch/feel stage of selecting your elk rifle.