Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ? >

Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?

Old 04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't know where people get crazy ideas like this. They make deer out to be some sort mythical creature that can't be killed with anything but a 30-06 or bigger shooting heavy bullets. Next thing they will say is they need silver bullets.

To think that any high powered rifle is incapable of killing a deer is just ignorant. They are just not that tough of an animal. I think that is where people mess up, they don't take the limitations of the weapon into mind.

I'll be honest and say it wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be afraid to use if that's all I had.

Paul
LOL ....Paul you never cease to amaze the Good Doctor ....you sure read a LOT into my question ...I never said that a deer was Puff the Magic Dragon "mythical creature"....and I do not recall saying that a high pwered rifle was "incapable" of killing a deer ...however I do take issue that a big buck is not a tough animal ...I would argue that anything that can go through the harsh winters of Canada is a very tuff animal ...again Paul you just slay me ole buddy ...you just GOT to love it

dd
Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 PM

Punch Lungs with an X, and "it" will die..................
Old 04-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Looks like a double-bagger.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:54 PM

That wasn't aimed at you Doc, sorry you took it that way. I didn't read into your post at all, I was merely commenting on my opinion of the subject and how strongly some feel against it, not you per say. You really didn't state how you felt one way or another so it would be hard for me criticize your opinion on the subject. There are seriously some that feel anything less than a 30-06 is too wimpy for deer. And in my opinion that is ignorant. I personally feel a 30-06 is overkill for thin bodied animals like deer, unless you are talking long ranges.

I said some "people" not "YOU", sorry you took it personal. I will try and be more clear next time.

You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Surviving a harsh winter is one thing, but getting shot is another. They are physically no different than we are, destroy the vitals and they will die within minutes, no if's, and's or but's about it. They don't know the difference between projectiles when they have holes punched through their lungs, or worse yet when they get liquefied by a high speed bullet. It's hard to get deader than dead. Deer can be elusive and paranoid, but they are not all that tough to kill in my opinion. I would consider hogs to be tougher to actually kill.

Heck bunnies survive the winter as well, but you can darn near scare them to death.

Paul
Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is certainly a capable caliber provided it is used within its limitations, and with proper bullets for the game at hand. While a few states have chosen to deem it verboten to use on deer/bear, I see no ethical/moral problem with using it what-so-ever... you just have to accept and realize what you are up to... and also accept that there are probably better choices.

I've shot a bunch of deer with a .204 Ruger.... never had any of them take so much as a step.... but I'm not shooting at moving targets from a kneeling offhand position either.... what I use might as well be a vice.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't know where people get crazy ideas like this. They make deer out to be some sort mythical creature that can't be killed with anything but a 30-06 or bigger shooting heavy bullets. Next thing they will say is they need silver bullets.
Many of those samepeople feel you can't hunt bear with anything less than a .375 H&H. Too many articles about charging maneaters
Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Lot's of non hunters and non shooters shamelessly spoutin' their Expertitude gleaned via a broad spectrum of skewed sources beingdriven by thepimping of better mouse traps..........is the problem.

BT/DT is a rare breed.....

Deer die easy................

Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wilds

Deer die easy................

Yes they do. The problem is 75% of hunters couldn't track an elephant in a fresh snow if he was pissing while he walked. Those same 75% wouldn't admit that perhaps it was their shooting and their impatience on the blood trail that caused the animal to be lost, for fear of not having an excuse to buy a new .300 to shoot a deer with. Moreover, if they'd read an article about being able to kill deer with a .223 and tried it out themselves, you'd have plenty of letters to read in the Dear Editor section of your favorite "Back o' the can" literature.... the modern author always has to proceed with caution and assume his audience isn't allowed to leave home without a helmet on. Shame.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have the exact numbers here, but, roughly 43 states allow hunting deer with a rifle. Of those 43, I believe 38 allow the use of .22 Centerfires. The argument is NOT whether the cartridge is ethical. The mere fact that the vast majority of states allows it, to me, means that the cartridge is an ethical choice. Thus, the "ethics" question becomes whether the hunter, when using a legal caliber, is sufficiently selective of his target and adequately restricts the distance at which he takes his shot.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they do. The problem is 75% of hunters couldn't track an elephant in a fresh snow if he was pissing while he walked.

Now that is funny. I do not care who you are. That is funny. Tom.

Quick Reply: Opinion on the 223 as a deer hunting cal ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.