Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 conceal and carry pistol question >

conceal and carry pistol question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

conceal and carry pistol question

Old 04-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default conceal and carry pistol question

i am looking for a pistol, and i don't know what to get. i am realy intrested in a 44 special, or a 38 special.

revolver probbly

pat
Old 04-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: conceal and carry pistol question

Can't tell you what to get. You've got to handle (and perhaps shoot) as many as possible to get a feel for likes and dislikes. Some ranges rent guns or often other shooters will allow "friends" to shoot a few rounds on their weapons. You've also got to factor in concealibility. With some guns it's relatively easy, while others are tougher. You have to try and achieve "no printing" so that other individuals won't be able to tell you are carrying. It's all about fit, feel and conceal! Good luck.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

I carry a Model 85 Taurus 38 snubby works great. No holster just a set of hipgrips from Midway.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM

+1 on what bugsNbows said. Like a bow, personal feel is the best. I took my CWP class last month and am waiting on permit from the state, after which, I will be carring. Another thing to consider besides feel / fit is caliber. Most models come in different calibers. While everyone will argue stopping power, etc. I noticed that 9 mm and .45 seem to be less expensive than .38 and .40. If you plan on shooting alot, that may be something to think about. Also, if you purchase new, most manufactures recomend a "Break In" of 200 - 500 rounds. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

just had a question come to me.....you guys probably know, does any cartridge work in both a revolver and a semi auto?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well....I have a Ruger that has 2 cylinders, one for .45ACP and one for .45 Colt. I know that is probably not exactly what you meant. There are some .357, .44 mag autoloaders.
ORIGINAL: salukipv1

just had a question come to me.....you guys probably know, does any cartridge work in both a revolver and a semi auto?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're looking for a sidearm for CCW, you're possibly looking for a semi-auto .45 ACP, 9 mm or caliber of your choice. There are a number of mfg. and models that'll fit the bill. Some of the lighter, synthetic and steel models like Glock, Springfield Arms XD and others are compact enough. But of course you can find smaller revolvers that'll work for you, too.
I've used both SA XD .45 4" and Ruger Redhawk DA .44 mag/spec. (4") for carrying.
Since you're in Buffalo, MN, consider stopping down to a gun shop like Bill's Gun shop in Robbinsdale and renting a couple different models to shoot on site and talking with several fellows there about their experiences.
Also, if you take the training for MN to carry, some trainers will let you use one of their pistols for the proficiency part of the class. If you want a name of a good trainer I know who is certified and teachs both the MN and Utah CCW classes in Rogers and near Brainerd, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

minnfinn, do you know the address to bills gun shop?

pat
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

i am also thinking of a 41 mag.
pat
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like my wife's Smith & Wesson airweight in the 38+p.
It has a barely exposed hammer so you can shoot it single or double action, but with no large hammer to get in the way while concealed.

Quick Reply: conceal and carry pistol question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.