Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

223 or 243

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 223 or 243

If you reload, you might consider bumping up to a 25-06. I hunt coyotes with mine all the time. Loaded with 75 grain V-max bullets, it makes for some mighty good coyote medicine. For game animals, load it up with some 110 to 120 grain game bullets, like Sierra Gamekings or Nosler Partitions and go for it. You could hunt deer, antelope, and even elk.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 AM

Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

A bit better as far as muzzle velocity and ballistics, but, they use more powder, make more noise, have a bit more recoil, are more expensive to shoot, are harder on barrels, aren't available in an "EBR".... Kind of like saying "if the .308 and .30-06 weren't military rounds, they would cease to exist. Both the .300 Win Mag and .300 RUM are way WAY better..."
I knew someone would say that.....haha.

My point is that one reason the .223 is cheaper....is due to the fact it is a military round....so if it werent a military round......would it be cheaper? maybe so due to less powder/smaller brass, but I feel then it would be like 12 bucks a box vs. 13/14. So therefore I don't consider that much of a contradiction to the military round part, maybe I'm wrong, just how I see it.

I hear you on the lounder part.....though compared to a .270, 300 win mag......how loud is any .22 caliber? and a rifle shot is a rifle shot, game hears either pretty well I quite certain, think a silencer will do fine on either....if I were really that concerned.....

and what exactly is EBR?

haha, .308 and .30-06, weren't military rounds.....seriously the .270 may have become what the .30-06 is, or just way more popular than it already is....

as to the .308......not a big fan either, and again military round......I see many guys voting for the .243 and 7mm-08 as the "best -08" configurations.....so in some sense ya if it werent a military round I think the 7mm-08 and .243 would be the most popular versions.

IMO cheaper ammo isn't much of a issue to me in my selection of a firearm.....though I can see it especially in smaller calibers....so I do note that......but I dont shoot thousands of rounds a year.....so again ya whether its a .223 or a .22-250, to me its cheap, compared to $60+/box type ammo.

But I suppose if someone just likes what the .223 does better, they should get one, personally to me its .22-250 or .220 swift, popular vs better.....but both are good/great.

Just my thoughts, do define EBR for me though.....less Im just not putting it together....haha.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since a we lad....still a relatively young man.

Most of my shooting experiencehas been done with more mid range calibers, 270, 300win mag,

I do crave information, and hunting, guns, do fill quite of my reading I find myself doing.

I know some guys on here probablly shoot every weekend, course I don't live on a farm, nor close to a range.
And though I forsee having experience in the future amongst most caliber ranges....I really don't forsee diving into each catridge of a particular caliber......ie when I fill a particular caliber......that rifle will most likely last my lifetime and then some. Less a particular round/caliber /rifle lacks in my own requirements, I dont plan to replace/buy a new rifle in that same caliber.....

As for useable info.....I really don't understand that one, I give my opinion to some posts/questions.....with the knowledge I have gathered. If i have real world experience with a particular item.....i usually mention that part, but I guess to each their own as far as what the deem "useable"

How often do you shoot? how long have you been shooting?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

saluki, the term EBR is an abbreviation for "evil black rifle" though we're trying to drop the term due to it political uncorrectness.
I'm curious as to when AR15 shooters started caring about being politically correct... Do I need to start checking with the mayor of San Francisco to determine what I'm allowed to say? I use EBR with a degree of sarcasm directed at morons who actually stupid enough to think an inanimate object can be "evil"... Colt went the opposite direction. My AR is called a "Sporter Target Model". Didn't make a bit of difference to the idiots who want to ban them. You could paint 'em pink and they'd still want us to turn them all in...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased a Rock River Varminter that is accurate beyond belief. I have been using it for ground hog hunting. Last year I was sitting in a field in PA when a State Trooper came by and stopped. He talked to me for about 10 minutes. I gave him a cold Pepsi while we shot the BS. When he was about to leave he told me I was a pretty good guy and that he would not arrest me that day. He then informed me that it was illegal to ground hog hunt in PA with the so called EBR.

I did get some negative feed back from some farmer's last year when I used my RR. I also got a few that a boy's also. Tom.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saluki - think you may have missed ipsc's point.

RR, ipsc - No, WE probably don't care about the acronym "EBR", but the duped morons who make and vote for stupid laws do. They're the ones wholike to seethe "E" on the front (especially if we, the owners, VALIDATE their unfounded paranoia), to the rest of us they're just a "BR". Next thing they'll want to ban would be my "ECS" (Evil Chain Saw).Peopleget cut apart with those in movies, y'know?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I like the 243.. I have 2 of them and they are plenty for deer.. If your reloading you may also want to consider the 6mm Rem.. One of the best cartridges that never caught fire.. Due in part to the 243.. But if you reload you can really get creative with the 6mm..

As far as the 223 for deer.. It it one of the best 22 caliber rounds for deer because of the different types of ammo.. I have always used the 85 Grain BTHP out of my 243 for deer and they have a comprable load in 223 in the 75 Grain BTHP..
Old 05-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

Go ahead and get the .243 you'll be glad you did. It will give you a larger variety in your varmint hunting. I have two rifles for deer hunting and am looking at a third just to spice things up sometimes. You can never have to many rifles.
Thats right, guns are always a good investment. Besides, if you ever want to get rid of it you can make your many back for the most part.