Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question on improving my factory rifle >

Question on improving my factory rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on improving my factory rifle

Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on improving my factory rifle

I too shoot a Ruger and the trigger is the #1 thing to change after you check your ammo. A lot of new ammo has come out int he last 10 years so take a look and see what you can find.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Spike

Man you guys are quick on the responses. I appreciate all of the info. Let me soak it up and do a little experimenting and I will let you know what I find.

46r
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Wellfirst i would clean out the gun real well.
Then i would definitly get a good stock on it.
And handloading can reallly help your accuracy and overall preformance but only get into that if your willing to spend alot of time and some money on it.
If you go with factory ammo i would recomend nosler ballistic tips or accubonds(i think federaluses them)
Even if you dont mind the recoil much a limbsaver recoil pad may increase your accuracy. You will notice to just be more confident with your shots.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Trigger job,glass bedding,Harris bi-pod and a set of FL reloading dies.Hook up with a buddy or some one who reloads and watch the groups shrink...................................Harold *My son has a MKII in 25-06 and it shoots no worse than 1/2" groups with just the horrendous trigger polished and set at 3lbs.Bear ,WT deer,Mulies and an elk have been at the recieving end[deep freeze!]
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sell the Ruger/Burris combo and source a Remmy/Leupold set up...

That'd be my first improvement to make, what can come from that is icing on the cake
Unbelievable just Unbelievable..Must not have bought a Remington in a while.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Another thing you might try is having someone else you know that is an accomplished rifleman shoot the gun and see what they get out of it for groups. Other than the trigger it may just be the loads and your shooting. If the gun can shoot theres no sense in spending money on a bed job. I would improve the trigger though if it's factory. A good cleaning would be advisable also. maybe some Jb bore paste for a good reaming, then try the different loads, cleaning it normally between different types of ammo.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bobfm10350

Then i would definitly get a good stock on it.
Bobfm, What would constitute a good stock for this gun?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Remnard

Another thing you might try is having someone else you know that is an accomplished rifleman shoot the gun and see what they get out of it for groups...
Great idea. Won't be hard to find someone who shoots better than me. ;-)Seriously, I will do that. I know a couple of good shooters who would probably help me out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another suggestion would be to only fire 3 rounds then let the barrel cool completely. BTW, the Ruger is a FINE rifle. I'm betting a good cleaning, trigger job and you'll be good to go. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

You do not have a bad set up but I would not be happy with 1.5 - 2.5" groups. I would start by trying different ammo to see if you can get better and more consistent groups.
This is good advice, as if you don't intend to handload for it the next best alternative is to find a load it really shoots well. The idea that you should replace the Ruger with a Remington (or any other brand) is nonsense. A Ruger is just as likely to produce acceptable accuracy as any other brand!

In actuality, a 1.5" group from a factory rifle right out of the box with factory ammo is pretty good!

IF you don't like the trigger pull, a good change would be an after-market trigger that you can adjust for a lighter, crisperslack and creep-free pull.

IF your rifle is shooting 1.5 MOA groups as is, with factory ammo, I don't believe I would fool with the bedding yet, until I see if I could find ammo it really likes. Better yet, a reasonable investment in reloading equipment would allow you to develop a custom load for your rifle that will shoot better than anything the factories produce.

(I have owned 10 Ruger rifles. All were No. 1's, except for one M77 in 7X57mm. EVERY ONE of these rifles shot MOA or better with NOTHING DONE to them except for having a scope put on! But I have never shot any factory ammo in any of them except the M77, and it would put Remington 175-grain loads into one ragged hole at 100 yards-no doubt this was a fluke! Factory ammo rarely shoots that well!!)

Quick Reply: Question on improving my factory rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.