Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .22 lr ammo test >

.22 lr ammo test

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 lr ammo test

Old 04-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Default .22 lr ammo test

A few days ago, I neede more ammo for my .22 and I thought I would get a few different brands and see how they shoot out of my new gun(Savage Mark II). All of these shots were made at 50 yards and I was shooting off a rest. It was a bit windy on the day I did the test if that matters at all. I will test more ammo later and post it here...............If you have any questions just ask me
Thanks

Here is the first one.............It is Federal Value Pack hollow point, and it was 12 dollars for 550 rounds. I was extremely pleased with these because of the price and accuracy and absolutley no misfires or feeding issues.
The grouping at 50 yards

This is the CCI Stinger hollow point. I was absolutely shocked at how powerful and fast this was. The only issue I has was that they were all shooting left and
I don't know why this was happening. It also didnt seem to group excellently for the 8 dollars for 50 rounds. If you know why they all grouped left tell me.

The last ammo I tested was the CCI Mini Mag HP(hollow point). The thing I didn't like about this was that a lot of them seemed to be covered in a waxy substance and some of the hollow points were filled in with it. This was a good ammo but I wont get it again for 8 dollars per hundred when I can get the Federal Value Pack which groups as good if not better and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

In the future I will test more ammo and add to this.
Hope this helped
Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 lr ammo test

It also didnt seem to group excellently for the 8 dollars for 50 rounds. If you know why they all grouped left tell me.
Barrel harmonics- the bullet is exiting the barrel while the barrel is vibrating- different velocity/weight loads will exit when barrels are in different positions leading to point of impact shift.

You should also try some of the standard velocity stuff, oddly enough its harder to find and somewhat more expensive than high velocity .22 ammo, but often shoots quite a bit better. Try some of the Aquila, Wolf, or Winchester target/match ammo out if you want to get the most accuracy out of your rifle.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Any time you shoot a different ammo out of your gun it can change the impact point. When testing ammo just look at the groups, not where they impact in relation to where you aim. Once you find something your gun likes you can re-zero it.

You really just need to try a bunch of ammo, one or two brands will stick out. And don't bother with the really fast hyper velocity stuff, most of it sucks. The fastest decent ammo I tried was the CCI velocitors. Oddly enough most of my guns haven't shot that well with target ammo. I seem to have the best luck with standard or high velocity hunting rounds. But not the bulk value ammo.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Remington 541-T loves the CCI Holow point, at 50 yards, you can cover the group with a nickle...

My Remington 552 prefers either CCI Green Tags, or CCI Shorts...

You guys remember back in the early days of .22 semis, all the better squirrel hunters used shorts, instead of long rifle??
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Any time you shoot a different ammo out of your gun it can change the impact point. When testing ammo just look at the groups, not where they impact in relation to where you aim. Once you find something your gun likes you can re-zero it.
Ditto...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The CCI Mini Mags actually shoot the best out of my "custom" 10/22.

The Federal value packs shoot the best out of my Browning Buckmark Campers.

The Stingers shoot the best out of my Single Six.

The Remington Value Packs shoot the best out of my other 2 10/22s I have.

Its definately weird how some rifles like a load, and others hate it. Keep playing with the different bullets and you'll find something that your gun really likes.

I have about 5 different kinds of 22 mag ammo to try yet in my new Marlin. Haven't had a chance with work though.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 AM

thats funny, because i have a savage II as well and it hates CCI stingers..it doesnt feed and eject properly.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the fedral value pak I get constant stovepipes but I have never had any problem withthe remington brick. To each gun his own I guess.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is also why I think most guys should start with a .22 rather than a centerfire "deer" rifle...A .22 can teach a guy a lot of lessons...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM

yeah i will probablt not get the minimags agin i was shooting yesterday and probably had 5 or 6 jams with it and none with the other stuff.
my savage likes the federal stuff but im gonna try a lot more different ammo
i think the federal valur pack is standard velocity

Quick Reply: .22 lr ammo test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.