Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best .338 round for elk? >

Best .338 round for elk?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best .338 round for elk?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
RDJ
Spike

Default Best .338 round for elk?

I don't handload, so I was wondering what is the best factory .338 round for elk/moose/G-bear in both the acurracy and knock down department. I've tried the Nosler accubond with lousy results in the accuracy dept., however the Barnes TSX was very accurate, but I would just like to experiment a little. Maybe the Barnes MRX, Swift A-Frame or the Winchester Supreme Elite XP3. Before I spend too much money on boxes of shells I thought I would see what the board has to say. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Best .338 round for elk?

Unfortunately, each rifle is a little different. What shoots good for somebody else, might shoot like crap out of your rifle. The only way to find your rifle's best factory ammo is to shoot a bunch of them.... that's what makes shooting so much fun!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

are you asking about bullets? or rounds/cartridges? each I would say is personal opinion.....my fav .338 is a .340 weatherby with 225 or 250 noslers or barnes. There's also a 210gr nosler which I really don't have the need to use, I'm thinking if Marco Polo.....ever come up that may be my choice, for my flattest rifle with some punch. Though I hear some guys load down .338's to for 185gr bullets, so I'm really not sure, and if ever/marco polo, that's long away. Also at 16,000ft I think I may want to purchase a lightweight rifle.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM
RDJ
Spike

Sorry about that....Yes, I am asking about bullets. Thanks Salukipv1, that's what happens when I am in a hurry and dinner is waiting on the table
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Go for the winchester XP3 or even nosler partions
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

If Barnes TSX are "very accurate" in your gun why look any further? I consider it be about as good as it gets for larger game, weight retention leading to excellent penetration yet opens up a good wound channel at the same time. My experience has been the TSX is pretty easy to get shooting as well. The only reason not touseit would be accuracy for the game you mentioned.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
RDJ
Spike

Default RE: Best .338 bullet for elk?

Skeeter - I guess it was because when I was talking to the guy at the gun counter today he really didn't think the TSX was that good. He said as soon as you hit bone the petals will often break off. He said the Barnes MRX will be a little better, but also said the Winchester XP3 or the Swift A-Frame would be beter for the big stuff. In regards to my personal experience,I just purchased the .338 last year and have only shot a good sized muley buck with it at 200 yards. It was a straight pass through high in the lungs. Deer never took another step. I realize the .338 is a little big for mule deer,I actuially purchasedthe .338 for moose and elk, but because my moose didn't cooperate with me last year, I just had to hunt with it until I got an animal.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 250 gr. Barnes X bullets in my .340 Wby. Mag. Try the TBBC they are now made with ahigher BC.Good luck.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDJ

Skeeter - I guess it was because when I was talking to the guy at the gun counter today he really didn't think the TSX was that good. He said as soon as you hit bone the petals will often break off.
That is untrue.... at least some of it is.... the word "often" probably shouldn't be included. I have infact recovered bullets shot through some pretty nasty stuff (double stacked 1" sheets of laminate plywood)and seen other recovered bullets (some from a .330 Dakota on large Africangame) that have sheered their petals, or a few of them. These shots are typically at very close ranges and very high velocities. Please note that the bullets were ALL recovered from DEAD animals. What you need to take into consideration is what happens to the bone that the bullet gets broken on... its like a handgrenade... and the central core of the bullet keeps on going and dang near always leaves and exit wound. Personally I have never had one stay in a deer or a hog... always a hole on side A and on side B.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

If Barnes TSX are "very accurate" in your gun why look any further? I consider it be about as good as it gets for larger game, weight retention leading to excellent penetration yet opens up a good wound channel at the same time. My experience has been the TSX is pretty easy to get shooting as well. The only reason not touseit would be accuracy for the game you mentioned.

Totally agree here, and I have personaly shot elk with the 225g TSX in my 338, and my father has shot even more with his 338 TSX, and the Blue TSX old version. You will not be disappointed with the results, and anyone in these parts of the woods that badmouths the TSX prolly hasnt shot one with it.

Quick Reply: Best .338 round for elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.