Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lever action or Bolt action? >

Lever action or Bolt action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Lever action
26.03%
Bolt action
73.97%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Lever action or Bolt action?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lever action or Bolt action?

I have no desire to own any bolt action gun. My lever guns work just fine for me. And my .308 lever gun will reach plenty far for me. Not all lever guns have a tube magazine, you can shoot any style bullet in just about any caliber you want with a lever gun.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

I take most shots prone. A lever gun would be a handicap for a follow up shot. They look great in the movies though.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

again pump gun, I will hunt a pump w/any gun pout there. It is fast, you can keep on running game w/out pulling out of the site picture and they are accurate. Shoot em/ w/ the first shot, then this is all hyperbole. If more than one shot is required nothing , nothing faster than a pump!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

bolt..accuracy lever..tradition both kill when used properly
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Lever, pump,bolt.

Lever - Faster cycling a bullet and you can keep the gun on the shoulder. Works for righty/lefty.
Pump - Comes more natural if your a shotgun pump shooter. Works for right/lefty.
Bolt - Try keeping it at your shoulder when cycling the action and you'll punch yourself in the face.
Action style is specific to righty/lefty. Other action accuracy stands up to bolts IMO.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Well, levers may be a little better for speed, and more handy in the brush, but how many of them do you see at the benchrest shoots? Oughta tell you something....
I never see levers at benchrest shoots and that tells me that I never go to bench rest shoots. I think we're talking hunting accuracy here and most levers that I know of are pie plate accurate out to 300 yds.

I have both bolt and lever guns. I'm partial to levers. I would like a pump too, but they don't seem to fit me. Yes they all have their good and bad but I find that alever is just a bit handier for me; with the half cock option I find that they are safer as well. If you don't like them, then fine, use your favorite bolt gun.

I used to be a diehard bolt gun hater, but I've found a couple that I like. The bolt to me always feels cumberson though. I really like brownings in both bolt and lever. I gave up telling folks how much I love the feel of a good lever gun, because most of the bolt guys just look at you like you're crazy. I usually keep it to myself now and just enjoy my leveractions.

Spud
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM

my slug gunwhich is a single shotbut if i had to choose, i would choose the lever, because, where i hunt, it is pretty thick.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Try a Win. 88 or a Sako Finnwolf or a Browning blr. They work great in most any situation, especially if you handload.