HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/240890-your-favorite-gun-deer-elk.html)

ox1443 04-05-2008 09:35 AM

Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

whats your favorite Deer/Elk Gun???

I'll Start with the 300 WSM :D:D

schoolcraft 04-05-2008 09:41 AM

RE: Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

My favorite one (that I still kick myself for selling) was a left handed Browning Stainless Stalker in .270

It shot nice little ragged holes at 100 yards with 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tipsand dropped everything I shot with it in its tracks.........dang I miss that gun!!!!

TexasBowHunter 04-05-2008 09:52 AM

Love my m77 270, whenI gun hunt this is what I carry, was my first hunting rifle and wouldn't trade it for nothing..

700xcr 04-05-2008 10:39 AM

I like my Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm shooting 150gr. bullets.

whitetaildreamer 04-05-2008 10:57 AM

My ol'trusty Savage 7mm mag. Enjoy using my Savage .270 also.

broey1 04-05-2008 12:46 PM

Remington model 700 in 35 Whelen is my favorite gun for deer/elk. Have only taken one elk with it, two caribou, and maybe 50 deer..... but they all wnt down & didn't get back up.

Remnard 04-05-2008 02:29 PM

7x57 mauser in a remington mountain rifle.

338-06 a-square in a weatherby ultralight.

handloader1 04-05-2008 03:31 PM

.340 Wby. Mag. Good luck.

skeeter 7MM 04-05-2008 04:58 PM

7mm rem mag
Just bought a 338wm so we'll see how the big 7's case brother does:D

Scott Gags 04-05-2008 06:26 PM

06. Been doing the job for 100+ years now.

L8KER 04-05-2008 07:46 PM

Never hunted elk, but my favorite up north deer gun is my 450 Marlin. When hunting down state in shotgun only, it's my H&R 12 with Remington Ulta Core Lokt.

Bake North 04-06-2008 05:31 AM

Iam in a shot gun area and I like my 20 ga slug gun but the last 2 years all I carried was my 50cal muzzleloader.

mcawful 04-06-2008 06:54 AM

My 30-06 has taken game from Alaska to Nc and down to Florida. With so many loads available, not to mention reloading your own, for me it would be hard to beat.

wernerjd 04-06-2008 09:27 AM

.270 all the way

RugerM77.270 04-07-2008 09:18 AM

Say my name.

oldelkhunter 04-07-2008 09:49 AM

I have a problem with people that recommend the 270 Winchester for Elk. I guess it all depends on where you are doing your hunting and the caliber of bull/cow you are shooting. They( Elk) can vary weight by a few hundred pounds . That is not even mentioning Public Land or Private land and or Terrain features.

Bear Wallow 04-07-2008 01:25 PM

6mm Remington

cjwink 04-07-2008 03:08 PM

Depends on which one I pull out of the safe.. The 243, 6mm, 7mm-08 or the 308... If I had to use one gun for both deer and elk.. I would go with the 7mm-08.. Just because it is a good mid range caliber and I have it in the Ruger compact that is light and easy to handle should I be toting it around in the mountains..

700xcr 04-07-2008 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I have a problem with people that recommend the 270 Winchester for Elk. I guess it all depends on where you are doing your hunting and the caliber of bull/cow you are shooting. They( Elk) can vary weight by a few hundred pounds . That is not even mentioning Public Land or Private land and or Terrain features.
My question is why do you have a problem with people using a 270win. for elk?As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.

skeeter 7MM 04-07-2008 09:41 PM

As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.
I think that's were some have the problems with using a lighter caliber or cartridge then typically considered "the norm". Not everybody will use a premium or properbullet. Not everybody will be able to hold their emotions in check topass or wait on a positive shot angle. Not everyone knows their limitations or even the guns for which they are using! The reality is far more who hunt don't spend the time required toknow the limitations, then do. The answer can't be contained to justbigger either!I thinkmost would feel more comfortable guiding a friend or other hunter with a tool they are proficent with, then one that may better fit the "norm"but can't handle.

I personally have used the measily 270win;) to harvest both elk and moose, was very successful doing so by exactly what you mentioned (The proper bullet, knowing my limitations (keeping to them) and putting it into the vitals with minimal resistence upon entry - aka not through the shoulder first). That said Ionbce Istarted hunting elk yearly, I toodidn't like the limiting factors with the 270, so upped the anty some. I still am not going to take poor shots, but I won't think twice about breaking through the shoulder to get to the lungs either.

The elk crew I hunthas grandfathered in member with a .270 win. 150gr NP drops his elk with no troubles, then again he has never shot one further then maybe 150yards from his barrel and every single one have been right behind the shoulders. He has passed about as many bulls as he's harvested on the account he didn't have "the shot". It can be done but not everybody has this type of ability.;)

wyotimberghost 04-07-2008 11:02 PM

My Ruger M77 MKII 7mm Rem Mag is a good gun for both deer and elk

oldelkhunter 04-08-2008 06:38 AM

My question is why do you have a problem with people using a 270win. for elk?As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem

Read my post there are different size Elk everywhere depends on where you are hunting but the 270 can be just allright for some Elk in some areas(CO non trophy units)and undergunned for others (Montana Wyo Trophy units). Most hunters that shoot 270's practice about as much as the ones that shoot overly powerful magnums with the same darn results .

DM 04-08-2008 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.
I think that's were some have the problems with using a lighter caliber or cartridge then typically considered "the norm". Not everybody will use a premium or properbullet. Not everybody will be able to hold their emotions in check topass or wait on a positive shot angle. Not everyone knows their limitations or even the guns for which they are using! The reality is far more who hunt don't spend the time required toknow the limitations, then do. The answer can't be contained to justbigger either!I thinkmost would feel more comfortable guiding a friend or other hunter with a tool they are proficent with, then one that may better fit the "norm"but can't handle.

I personally have used the measily 270win;) to harvest both elk and moose, was very successful doing so by exactly what you mentioned (The proper bullet, knowing my limitations (keeping to them) and putting it into the vitals with minimal resistence upon entry - aka not through the shoulder first). That said Ionbce Istarted hunting elk yearly, I toodidn't like the limiting factors with the 270, so upped the anty some. I still am not going to take poor shots, but I won't think twice about breaking through the shoulder to get to the lungs either.

The elk crew I hunthas grandfathered in member with a .270 win. 150gr NP drops his elk with no troubles, then again he has never shot one further then maybe 150yards from his barrel and every single one have been right behind the shoulders. He has passed about as many bulls as he's harvested on the account he didn't have "the shot". It can be done but not everybody has this type of ability.;)
My expierence has been that this post is dead nuts on!

Everyone always says they aren't that way, but when you run that decent buck by themoffering a poor shot, they blaze away every time... Most insist they shot it right through the lungs, even if the animial isn't ever found!!

I've seen this over and over, and had to doa lot of tracking for others because of it!

DM

oldelkhunter 04-08-2008 07:19 AM

How many hunters on extremely expensive Elk Or Deer Hunts will use that logic if they are packing a 270?I like to see the guys irregardless of what they are packing pass up shots on these "Trophy" hunts. that exceed 150 yards.

RugerM77.270 04-08-2008 07:54 AM

I claimed the .270 because is is what I deer hunt with and is the biggest rifle I own. I have never elk hunted before but I am planing one for 2010. I know that the .270 is on the low side of adiquate for elk but is adiquate. Just like a 243 on deer. I am a big advocate for being prepared and using the right bullet not the cheap bullet and I limit my shots to 300 yards on deer and have passed up several that I really wanted to shoot because of distance and shot placement. So yes I would use a .270 and yes I wopuld control myself and wait for "the shot".

bigdawgwill44 04-08-2008 09:55 AM

.300 win mag, the finest all-around north american hunting rifle.

Torqued 04-08-2008 11:16 AM

I cannot even think how many people I know that use a 270 for elk and get their elk every year without wounding them. Some of which are very good friends of mine. I just prefer a little more bang.
Weatherby Mark V stainless, in 340 Weatherby.

oldelkhunter 04-08-2008 11:36 AM

I cannot even think how many people I know that use a 270 for elk and get their elk every year without wounding them. Some of which are very good friends of mine. I just prefer a little more bang.
Weatherby Mark V stainless, in 340 Weatherby.

Lot of local people that live in Elk Country use 270's 06's and such on Elk. They have the time and the game is nearby. Not like some guy that comes out on a 5 day hunt and spends thousands to get at an elk. At least you have the sense to own a REal Dedicated Elk Rifle.

Edcyclopedia 04-08-2008 07:09 PM

700 mtn. rifle (.270), it's one of the lightest and compact rifles to tote around all day when stalking.

Worc 04-08-2008 07:35 PM

Elk: Weatherby Accumark .300 Wby mag 180gr NAB with a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x 44mm. Deer: .308 win 150gr BST, SST or Scirocco. More than likely a Sako 85 SS if I can get past the factory stock with a Burris SS 4-16x44mm to replace my wooden A-bolt with Leupold 3-9x40mm.

idunno 04-08-2008 08:27 PM

Marlin 336W 30-30 win. 2nd would be my latest acquisition... Tikka T-3 hunter in .338 Federal. Although I have never hunted elk (not much opportunity here in south Louisiana), I find both of these to be sufficient for Whitetails and hopefully wild boar if I ever get that chance.

DANTHEHUNTER 04-09-2008 07:10 AM

>300wm or my 45/70.That 45/70 would be my first choice.Just love that round!!!!

eldeguello 04-09-2008 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ox1443

whats your favorite Deer/Elk Gun???

I'll Start with the 300 WSM :D:D
Deer: 7X57mm Mauser. Elk: 7mm Rem. Mag. BOTH are used in Ruger No. 1's....... a 1A & a 1B. With 175-grain bullets to keep meat damage down.

8mm/06 04-09-2008 07:05 PM

A deer/Elk combo gun? Either my 8mm/06 Mauser or my Savage 110 30/06. 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other.
For deer only? My Swedish 6.5 X 55 Sporter or my 7 X 57 Steyr.
I currently don't have anything larger than my 8mm/06 or 30/06 to consider for an Elk only gun.
If I had a 35 Whelen or a .338 Win Mag either of those would do a tad better for a combo gun or an elk only. For me anyway.

Mojotex 04-09-2008 07:41 PM

I have zero experience with elk. White tail and mule deer only. By far, more experience with white tail hunting. Most of that in the deep south. My favorite rifle is the one I have now that my wife gave me for my 50th birthday. A Styer Pro-Hunter, "Mountain Rifle", in 308 Win.While admittedly most shots are 100 yards or less, one of my two mule deer bucks was taken at a ranged 328 yards.

Sort of adding to the thread about "small" caliber vs. "large" caliber hunting bullets for deer.Yep, size matters up to a point, but the No. 1 key isto put the ball in the basket.

CCPaHunter 04-10-2008 06:46 AM

When I turned 18 in 1977I bought aRemington700 BDL IN 7mmMag. A while back I bought a 700BDL-SSalso in 7mm Mag. I love this round!

racewayking 04-10-2008 07:31 AM

.30-378 for Elk, great for long shots. I have taken an Elk at nearly 800 yards and one at 450.
.30-06 or 7Mag for deer.

I started bowhunting 8 years ago and have only gun hunted three times since though so they are collecting dust.

vikesman 04-13-2008 07:56 PM

i agree with the 300 wsm