Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk >

Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

My Ruger M77 MKII 7mm Rem Mag is a good gun for both deer and elk
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

My question is why do you have a problem with people using a 270win. for elk?As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem

Read my post there are different size Elk everywhere depends on where you are hunting but the 270 can be just allright for some Elk in some areas(CO non trophy units)and undergunned for others (Montana Wyo Trophy units). Most hunters that shoot 270's practice about as much as the ones that shoot overly powerful magnums with the same darn results .
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.
I think that's were some have the problems with using a lighter caliber or cartridge then typically considered "the norm". Not everybody will use a premium or properbullet. Not everybody will be able to hold their emotions in check topass or wait on a positive shot angle. Not everyone knows their limitations or even the guns for which they are using! The reality is far more who hunt don't spend the time required toknow the limitations, then do. The answer can't be contained to justbigger either!I thinkmost would feel more comfortable guiding a friend or other hunter with a tool they are proficent with, then one that may better fit the "norm"but can't handle.

I personally have used the measily 270win to harvest both elk and moose, was very successful doing so by exactly what you mentioned (The proper bullet, knowing my limitations (keeping to them) and putting it into the vitals with minimal resistence upon entry - aka not through the shoulder first). That said Ionbce Istarted hunting elk yearly, I toodidn't like the limiting factors with the 270, so upped the anty some. I still am not going to take poor shots, but I won't think twice about breaking through the shoulder to get to the lungs either.

The elk crew I hunthas grandfathered in member with a .270 win. 150gr NP drops his elk with no troubles, then again he has never shot one further then maybe 150yards from his barrel and every single one have been right behind the shoulders. He has passed about as many bulls as he's harvested on the account he didn't have "the shot". It can be done but not everybody has this type of ability.
My expierence has been that this post is dead nuts on!

Everyone always says they aren't that way, but when you run that decent buck by themoffering a poor shot, they blaze away every time... Most insist they shot it right through the lungs, even if the animial isn't ever found!!

I've seen this over and over, and had to doa lot of tracking for others because of it!

DM

Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

The elk crew I hunthas grandfathered in member with a .270 win. 150gr NP drops his elk with no troubles, then again he has never shot one further then maybe 150yards from his barrel and every single one have been right behind the shoulders. He has passed about as many bulls as he's harvested on the account he didn't have "the shot". It can be done but not everybody has this type of ability.

How many hunters on extremely expensive Elk Or Deer Hunts will use that logic if they are packing a 270?I like to see the guys irregardless of what they are packing pass up shots on these "Trophy" hunts. that exceed 150 yards.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I claimed the .270 because is is what I deer hunt with and is the biggest rifle I own. I have never elk hunted before but I am planing one for 2010. I know that the .270 is on the low side of adiquate for elk but is adiquate. Just like a 243 on deer. I am a big advocate for being prepared and using the right bullet not the cheap bullet and I limit my shots to 300 yards on deer and have passed up several that I really wanted to shoot because of distance and shot placement. So yes I would use a .270 and yes I wopuld control myself and wait for "the shot".

Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM

.300 win mag, the finest all-around north american hunting rifle.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM

I cannot even think how many people I know that use a 270 for elk and get their elk every year without wounding them. Some of which are very good friends of mine. I just prefer a little more bang.
Weatherby Mark V stainless, in 340 Weatherby.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cannot even think how many people I know that use a 270 for elk and get their elk every year without wounding them. Some of which are very good friends of mine. I just prefer a little more bang.
Weatherby Mark V stainless, in 340 Weatherby.

Lot of local people that live in Elk Country use 270's 06's and such on Elk. They have the time and the game is nearby. Not like some guy that comes out on a 5 day hunt and spends thousands to get at an elk. At least you have the sense to own a REal Dedicated Elk Rifle.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

700 mtn. rifle (.270), it's one of the lightest and compact rifles to tote around all day when stalking.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Elk: Weatherby Accumark .300 Wby mag 180gr NAB with a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x 44mm. Deer: .308 win 150gr BST, SST or Scirocco. More than likely a Sako 85 SS if I can get past the factory stock with a Burris SS 4-16x44mm to replace my wooden A-bolt with Leupold 3-9x40mm.

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.