Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk >

Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Never hunted elk, but my favorite up north deer gun is my 450 Marlin. When hunting down state in shotgun only, it's my H&R 12 with Remington Ulta Core Lokt.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 AM

Iam in a shot gun area and I like my 20 ga slug gun but the last 2 years all I carried was my 50cal muzzleloader.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 30-06 has taken game from Alaska to Nc and down to Florida. With so many loads available, not to mention reloading your own, for me it would be hard to beat.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

.270 all the way
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Say my name.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a problem with people that recommend the 270 Winchester for Elk. I guess it all depends on where you are doing your hunting and the caliber of bull/cow you are shooting. They( Elk) can vary weight by a few hundred pounds . That is not even mentioning Public Land or Private land and or Terrain features.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM

6mm Remington
Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on which one I pull out of the safe.. The 243, 6mm, 7mm-08 or the 308... If I had to use one gun for both deer and elk.. I would go with the 7mm-08.. Just because it is a good mid range caliber and I have it in the Ruger compact that is light and easy to handle should I be toting it around in the mountains..
Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I have a problem with people that recommend the 270 Winchester for Elk. I guess it all depends on where you are doing your hunting and the caliber of bull/cow you are shooting. They( Elk) can vary weight by a few hundred pounds . That is not even mentioning Public Land or Private land and or Terrain features.
My question is why do you have a problem with people using a 270win. for elk?As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as the person behind the 270win. or any.277cal.uses the right bullet,shot placement and knows their limitations there should be no problem.
I think that's were some have the problems with using a lighter caliber or cartridge then typically considered "the norm". Not everybody will use a premium or properbullet. Not everybody will be able to hold their emotions in check topass or wait on a positive shot angle. Not everyone knows their limitations or even the guns for which they are using! The reality is far more who hunt don't spend the time required toknow the limitations, then do. The answer can't be contained to justbigger either!I thinkmost would feel more comfortable guiding a friend or other hunter with a tool they are proficent with, then one that may better fit the "norm"but can't handle.

I personally have used the measily 270win to harvest both elk and moose, was very successful doing so by exactly what you mentioned (The proper bullet, knowing my limitations (keeping to them) and putting it into the vitals with minimal resistence upon entry - aka not through the shoulder first). That said Ionbce Istarted hunting elk yearly, I toodidn't like the limiting factors with the 270, so upped the anty some. I still am not going to take poor shots, but I won't think twice about breaking through the shoulder to get to the lungs either.

The elk crew I hunthas grandfathered in member with a .270 win. 150gr NP drops his elk with no troubles, then again he has never shot one further then maybe 150yards from his barrel and every single one have been right behind the shoulders. He has passed about as many bulls as he's harvested on the account he didn't have "the shot". It can be done but not everybody has this type of ability.

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Gun For Deer/Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.