Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 H&H

Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .300 H&H

Since I don't do "Ahem" Caliber of the week anymore.I thought I would just ask aQuestion.The .300 H&H ? How is it in relation to the .300 Win. Why the loss of interest ,or was it just a typical brit (African)round that never caught on here.Always heard about them but never had any dealings with one .Thanks and have fun....Swamp
Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .300 H&H

I remember a pre 64 winchester in 300 Holland & Holland that I could have bought once... wish I had. Actually, it had a rep as a powerful and very accurate cartridge. It was a long bottle neck, which I think actually caused it to lose market share. Shorter, zippier 300's came out and I just stopped seeing them around. It would be interesting to hear from some who still use these.

Great cartridge though. If one were to cast aside availability issues, it would be a great hunter IMO.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with it at all in fact it is one of the smoothest feeding mags out there in any rifle. My Friend has one in a pre64 and it is very accurate and just a different change of pace then your regular run of the mill mag. He purchased 500+ pieces of brass and shoots and hunts with it occasionally. With modern powders it is right there with the powerful 30 mags except the 300 ultra.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 AM

My dad had one and used it a lot up in Canada. My brother has it now, but doesn't use it much.... he doesn't handload & to buy from the factory is pretty expensive.

The old man would take it up to hunt those big whitetails they have in Northwest Canada..... never heard him complain.

I guess the reason it fell out of favor was the 300 Winchester and 338 winchester.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 AM
DM

I think what happened to the H&H is history repeating itself again today.

Today all the short and untra's are trying to replace the 300 win., 7mm Rem. ect... Back when the H&H was around, it was the 300 Win. doing the replaceing.

And look at how the 375 Ruger is trying to replace the 375 H&H...

DM
Old 04-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

Since I don't do "Ahem" Caliber of the week anymore.I thought I would just ask aQuestion.The .300 H&H ? How is it in relation to the .300 Win. Why the loss of interest ,or was it just a typical brit (African)round that never caught on here.Always heard about them but never had any dealings with one .Thanks and have fun....Swamp
Ballistically, there is nothing at allwrong with the .300 H&H. By American standards, it is a poorly designed case, but for use with Cordite powder, it is a pretty logical shape. The case capacity is no greater than that of the .308 Norma, .30 Newton, .300 Win. Mag., etc. Consequently, it performs about the same as these rounds, but needs a full-length magnum size bolt action to handle it whereas the others can be used in .30/'06 length actions. I believe it lost favor for this reason, not based on performance. Back in the 1930's, the ".300 Super", as the Brits called it, was quitepopular here with people who thought they needed something with a little more zip than an '06. Its' popularity grew after it was used to win the Wimbledon Cup 1000-yard rifle match (1936 or 1937....)
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info .Know a guy who is selling out,Has a winnie in .300 H&H.I would say it has to be a pre model in damn nice shape .I think I can get it for a grand.If I can I believe I will pick it up.Has an old T.V. screenRedfield scope on it also.The history of it makes me want it worse than anything else...............LOL
Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Roy Weatherby simply took the 300 H&H and improved it by blowing out the long taper and introduced his double raidus shoulder to it, thus creating the 300 WBY mag. It's still a popular round and power wise it beats the 300 Win mag by a hair. I have used the 300 H&H for many many years forming cases for7mm STW and 300 Wby's.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

Thanks for the info .Know a guy who is selling out,Has a winnie in .300 H&H.I would say it has to be a pre model in damn nice shape .I think I can get it for a grand.If I can I believe I will pick it up.Has an old T.V. screenRedfield scope on it also.The history of it makes me want it worse than anything else...............LOL
Well, Swamp, put a Lyman Alaskan on it, and you will have a truly classic rifle! I once had a pre-64 Super Grade .375 H&H withan Alaskan in a Paul Jaeger sidemount. It was a fabulous rifle. Like a dumbass I traded it (very short-sighted in those days!!) for a Grade IV BAR. Should have kept it.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

eldeguello,would you think this rifle is worth a grand market value?(Which that does not matter to me if I like something).LOL wish I could find a lyman that would be to cool.I know I am going to buy this gun anyway I am just trying to get you guy's to talk me into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.